Kefir

Making butter, ice creams and cheeses for the homestead table.
Old Fashioned

Kefir

Unread post by Old Fashioned » Wed Oct 16, 2019 12:57 am

I tried a vanilla kefir from Grace Harbor, sold at a local grocery. Loved the stuff, especially when the tummy wasn't feeling too good. Then they quit carrying it, and now I can't find it, only Lifeway and is berry flavored. I'm reluctant to try this brand cause since it's being pushed as the only one available makes me wonder just how 'authentic' of a kefir it really is or just some kind of stuff labeled as such and being part of the corporate greed to jump on the new fad bandwagon.

Has anyone tried Lifeway? What do you think of it? Is it really worth the money?

Also, has anyone here made their own kefir from either purchased or homemade kefir grains? If so, what is your process and how well do you like it?

Farmfresh

Re: Kefir

Unread post by Farmfresh » Wed Oct 16, 2019 2:18 am

Yum! That is what I think of Lifeway Kefir. We call it "Tummy Pat" at this house. Love the stuff, but yes it is pricey so we don't do it regularly. It is one of the things that keeps D2 alive when her tummy won't digest most other stuff.
Matthew 19:26 Jesus looked at them and said, "With man this is impossible, but with God all things are possible."
"Stop Dreaming About the Good Life and Start Living IT !"
Every little bit ... is a little bit.

Old Fashioned

Unread post by Old Fashioned » Wed Oct 16, 2019 6:14 am

Thanks Farm, just what I wanted to know.

I think I'll buy some to have on hand, but I think I'm going to try to make my own as well. I've been looking into the process and found out there is no possible way to make your own grains, but have to get them from someone else. So I'll probably buy some grains to inoculate milk. The process seems easy enough, to just keep adding milk & letting it ferment, grow more grains and provide a drinkable kefir (or something like that) |em22|

I'm just having a hard time wrapping my head around the fact you can't make your own grains. Nobody knows how they started or came into being way back some hundred or thousand years ago |em22|

patriceinil

Unread post by patriceinil » Wed Oct 16, 2019 7:35 am

Patience needs to chime in on this topic, she does kefir along with her other kitchen experiments.

I’ve tried kombucha but not kefir, I guess it’s something to look into now.

Farmfresh

Unread post by Farmfresh » Wed Oct 16, 2019 10:38 am

I bet if you bought some plain or vanilla flavored you could use the Lifeway Kefir as a starter culture. Like making yogurt.

Try putting some in a container and adding milk that has been heated to 160 and then cooled to blood temperature to kill any commercial baddies.
Matthew 19:26 Jesus looked at them and said, "With man this is impossible, but with God all things are possible."

Old Fashioned

Unread post by Old Fashioned » Wed Oct 16, 2019 10:15 pm

Farm, I wish I could have found plain or vanilla.....though I haven't checked at Walmart. I know they carry it, just not sure what flavors. The store down the road only had 'wildberries' and I bought some in the hopes it will help give me a 'tummy pat'.

And actually I'm not sure if this topic should have been in Dairy or Ferments......as it is both. Anyway, If I don't get over to Walmart in the next few days and before this bottle is gone.....then I'll try to get some of this started and see what happens, berries and all.

Farmfresh

Unread post by Farmfresh » Wed Oct 16, 2019 11:19 pm

It can't hurt to try.

Return to “The Home Dairy”