Predators on the Homestead

Farmfresh

Predators on the Homestead

Unread post by Farmfresh » Mon Dec 12, 2016 8:35 am

Over the course of several years we have had many encounters with the Wild Things. On a homestead dealing with predators can be a big issue. They kill our chickens, eat our turkeys and gulp down our eggs. I think we need a section in the barn lot specifically dedicated to them ... and the trouble that they often cause.

Here is the place to post about YOUR predator issues. Maybe together we can come up with some workable solutions to what is a battle as old as the ages.

To start things off I am going to repost the video of our raccoon trapping efforts that we took part in this spring. All told we captured and relocated three raccoons and the dogs killed a fourth. Thinning out that family of trouble made it much easier to keep our chickens alive.

We have also struggled with coyotes and multiple hawk attacks over the years. What are your primary predator issues and how are you working to solve the problems?

Matthew 19:26 Jesus looked at them and said, "With man this is impossible, but with God all things are possible."
"Stop Dreaming About the Good Life and Start Living IT !"
Every little bit ... is a little bit.

Rohn

Re: Predators on the Homestead

Unread post by Rohn » Mon Dec 12, 2016 9:25 am

I live in the city at this present time, but we still have predators. We had two dogs that came and tried to get our rabbits. The first time I saw those dogs was on a Sunday morning when I was preaching, I could see them out the window as I stood behind the pulpit. They were jumping up at the bottoms of the rabbit pens, so right in the middle of my sermon I stopped and asked one of my parishioners to go out and chase them away. A few weeks later they came back and managed to kill our two rabbits. Later we replaced the rabbits and put sections of 6 foot dog kennel around the rabbit pen. One day I looked out and there were those same dogs and one was inside the fenced in area and had ripped out the bottom of my rabbit hutch. I yelled at him and he climbed the 6 foot fence up onto our shed roof then jumped down and both dogs ran off. Thankfully the rabbit was not harmed. I ended up calling the dog catcher and he brought out a large box trap. The dogs did not return but we caught a opossum.
Even in the city there are predators.
Rohn

(John 8:32) And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free. (KJV)

Rhodie Ranch

Unread post by Rhodie Ranch » Mon Dec 12, 2016 10:41 am

Even living on a golf course in a large development, we have predators. Coyotes, mountain lions, and red tailed Hawks.

Most notably are Fox. We have the Calif Gray mixed with a Sierra Nevada red fox. I see them periodically. One day on FB, I heard a recording of them. Oh MY Gosh! That is what cries and howls in the summer night, and gives me shivers. I always assumed it was a mountain lion beneath our windows.

Good thing they've never attacked my cats.

Farmfresh

Unread post by Farmfresh » Mon Dec 12, 2016 10:47 am

Weird noise to be sure!

We have foxes here ... or had. I haven't seen any for a while now.
Matthew 19:26 Jesus looked at them and said, "With man this is impossible, but with God all things are possible."

dizzy

Unread post by dizzy » Tue Dec 13, 2016 7:46 pm

I heard a red fox a few years ago. It sounded like someone was being killed. Never heard anything like it B4, and we have fox around here. The only reason I knew it was a fox was because I saw one come out of the woods, then went home and googled it.

Old Fashioned

Unread post by Old Fashioned » Wed Dec 14, 2016 1:23 am

Our biggest problems have been with either dogs or rats, with rats being the worst. I have lost more birds to those nasty buggers than I can count. Mostly young chicks, but older birds as well |em3|
We've tried traps, poisons, guns (BB, air soft & .22), only feeding once or twice a day just enough that the birds will clean it all up, and the dogs have been successful at killing many and as another reason I got rid of the chickens to get rid of the rats, but I think there is still one that is trying to get into the house. |em16|

There are plenty of other predators in the neighborhood, but we haven't had a direct problem from them, thankfully. There are (or were) coyotes that would roam around or near some of the larger properties just a block over. I haven't heard them this year and I've heard there was someone that was killing them off when they were caught in that persons chicken pen. |em22|

We also have Red Tail Hawks and Bald Eagles and Owls that show up on occasion but can't really get in our yard. Well, they could, but they wouldn't be able to get back out. They are too big & need more room to get to flying height. Although we did somehow find a Canadian Goose in our backyard one year looking completely lost. Hubs finally caught it & took it out to the main road so it could take off.

And the Raccoons that go right through our front yard & driveway and even eaten the cats food on the front porch, but have never been in the backyard that we know of and I'm pretty sure none of our chicken loss was because of them.

Farmfresh

Unread post by Farmfresh » Wed Dec 14, 2016 3:29 am

Rats are a problem here too. They had a virtual rat city in the barn when it was so full of garbage. Now they are on the run, but still not gone. I did see one "sleeping peacefully" the other day, so I am encouraged that the poison is finally starting to have some effect at least.

dizzy

Unread post by dizzy » Wed Dec 14, 2016 5:08 pm

So far, all I'm having problems w/is the rats. I ran out of the poison I like, and couldn't get any. I was finally able to get more yesterday. I know I lost chicks to the rats. I'm hoping I can get the pit cleaned out. That will be a big help in getting rid of them.

I do see a bald eagle quite frequently perched in a tree near my field. But, it's never bothered my chickens. And I've seen a fox. It used to cut thru my field B4 I got the fence all up. I haven't seen it lately, so it could have died.

Quail

Unread post by Quail » Wed Dec 14, 2016 6:50 pm

Our biggest predator issues are the neighbors feral cats. We have hawks, too, but they haven't got any of our birds yet. We have seen 2 dead hawks in 2 days, though.

Farmfresh

Unread post by Farmfresh » Fri Mar 22, 2019 8:42 pm

Saw this video today. Disturbing footage of a mink attack in a hen house.

Return to “The Wild Things”