Just Horsing Around

Farmfresh

Re: Just Horsing Around

Unread post by Farmfresh » Wed Jun 26, 2019 9:58 pm

BTW... years and years of being horse obsessed here. Get me talking horses and I don't shut up. LOL
Matthew 19:26 Jesus looked at them and said, "With man this is impossible, but with God all things are possible."
"Stop Dreaming About the Good Life and Start Living IT !"
Every little bit ... is a little bit.

Rhodie Ranch

Unread post by Rhodie Ranch » Thu Jun 27, 2019 10:37 am

I LOVED that story. I was a horse nut since my 4th birthday party where I had a cowgirl theme. Took riding lessons at Ft Sam Houston stable in San Antonio back in 6th grade. But being in the AF, I knew that I didn't have a prayer. Collected English china horses instead. Thank you for the novel! I'm waiting for more, please.

Farmfresh

Unread post by Farmfresh » Thu Jun 27, 2019 3:38 pm

What do you want to know/learn Murphy? I haven't really tormented you all with this side of my life yet. |em12|

I could start in the beginning. My mom ALWAYS wanted a horse. She was one of those Saturday matinee cowgirls in the early 50's that were in line for the next Roy Rogers movie ticket as soon as it hit the screen. Her dream was never realized so she made up her mind when I was born that I would never want for a horse.

She met a lady that raised beautiful classic Shetland ponies in a time when ponies were a common child's pet. She bought me a really beautiful registered Shetland mare 3 years old. Lorewood's Sherry Sparkle. She was a bright red chestnut with flaxen (blonde) mane and tail, bald (all white) face and 4 white stockings (white boots to the knees). I was 5 months old or so and just barely sitting up!

Like a lot of people with absolutely no clue, my mom bought a fancy saddle and bridle (I'll show that set in a future picture) - which we still have BTW - and put the pony in my Grandma Nettie's backyard. !! I am sure that pleased Grandma to no end. (I can imagine the scene :shock: :eek: :lol: ) After all she was also moving back in ... with the tiny baby (me) because her marriage had come to a slamming halt. But... I had a pony!

Is this the kind of story you want Murphy? |em15|
Matthew 19:26 Jesus looked at them and said, "With man this is impossible, but with God all things are possible."

Rhodie Ranch

Unread post by Rhodie Ranch » Thu Jun 27, 2019 4:15 pm

Another LOL! Whatever anyone wants to talk about. After all, you recommended some Zane Gray! |em28|

bittersweetbranch

Unread post by bittersweetbranch » Sun Jun 30, 2019 10:40 pm

I had to laugh........if someone didn't know you were talking horses do you know what kind of picture they would get when they read....." Her name was Sherry Sparkle. she was very red with blonde hair and a white face. she had white stockings and white boots that went all the way to her knees."
I tried it on my husband. I read just this part and said, "what did you picture?" he pictured a christmas elf. My mind was not as clean........ LOL.

Farmfresh

Unread post by Farmfresh » Sun Jun 30, 2019 11:20 pm

LOL It does sound like a stripper name of some kind doesn't it!

bittersweetbranch

Unread post by bittersweetbranch » Tue Jul 02, 2019 12:28 pm

You were lucky to have all of that opportunity when you were young. I think we learn a lot easier the younger we are.

Farmfresh

Unread post by Farmfresh » Wed Jul 03, 2019 12:42 am

I pretty much had a horse from that point until we lost our last POA (pony of the Americas) mare about three years ago. I was very fortunate to grow up... with animals in general. I am thankful for that.

bittersweetbranch

Unread post by bittersweetbranch » Thu Jul 18, 2019 6:45 pm

Just an update. My mare and I traveled to the vet yesterday for a preg check. We were positive. 13 days pregnant. We'll go back in 2 weeks to check for a heart beat. Yay!

Farmfresh

Unread post by Farmfresh » Thu Jul 18, 2019 7:51 pm

Hurray! Great news! Now only another 10 1/2 months to wait.

Return to “Livestock”