Hatchery chicks?

Old Fashioned

Hatchery chicks?

Unread post by Old Fashioned » Sun Jan 25, 2015 2:58 am

Has anyone ordered chicks from a hatchery, either egg layers or meat birds? If so, which hatchery and what is your opinion of their services?
So far, I've gotten all my birds locally from others flocks except last year I did pick up some from the feed store that is supplied from hatcheries I'm sure. It's just that I like to 'see' what I'm buying, kinda like with meat or hamburger in the store.......if I can't see it, I don't buy it.
I guess now that I've crossed that bridge of killing my own birds, I think I might be ready for the next stage of going mail-order |em10|

Farmfresh

Re: Hatchery chicks?

Unread post by Farmfresh » Sun Jan 25, 2015 3:27 am

I have bought from a lot of hatcheries over the years. One piece of advice that I have is to try to buy from a hatchery that is fairly close to you. The farther away the hatchery the longer and rougher the trip for the chicks.
Matthew 19:26 Jesus looked at them and said, "With man this is impossible, but with God all things are possible."
"Stop Dreaming About the Good Life and Start Living IT !"
Every little bit ... is a little bit.

calendula

Unread post by calendula » Tue Jan 27, 2015 6:52 pm

We bought from http://www.welphatchery.com last year, and were pleased with what we got. We ordered a couple dozen, and out of that, lost two.

Farmfresh

Unread post by Farmfresh » Tue Jan 27, 2015 7:08 pm

I always buy my meaties from Welp, but they are located in Iowa. Here in the midwest like Cal and I it isn't too much of a trip for them. Iowa to the west coast is a haul.

Jenks hatchery http://www.jenkshatchery.com/chicks.htm in Oregon or Belt hatchery http://www.belthatchery.com/ in California might be worth checking into if you are on the west coast. ??
Matthew 19:26 Jesus looked at them and said, "With man this is impossible, but with God all things are possible."

savingdogs

Unread post by savingdogs » Fri Mar 08, 2019 7:26 pm

I was thinking of ordering four chicks from Meyers to start my flock, what do you guys think? I'm in Nevada.

Farmfresh

Unread post by Farmfresh » Sat Mar 09, 2019 12:24 am

I have purchased quite a bit from Meyers. I for one like them.

savingdogs

Unread post by savingdogs » Sat Mar 09, 2019 11:19 pm

Well I have four picked out but really only want three. Can't decide between Buff Orpington, Blue Splash Maran, Golden Laced Wyandotte, Salmon Favorolle, and Welsummer. I was hoping for three different color eggs and three different colors (from a distance) as well as good egg production, cold and heat hardy, good foragers, and beautiful. Opinions?????? I am also partial to lavender orpington and russian orloff speckled sussex, but was hoping to try a few new breeds.

Quail

Unread post by Quail » Sun Mar 10, 2019 6:18 am

Salmon Favorelles, Wyandottes, and Welsummers do well in almost all climates. Welsummer eggs are beautiful.

The Orpingtons are more cold hearty, but should do fine with access to plenty of water.

I am not sure as to the heartiness of Marans for climates as I've not had as many of those as others. I do know the blue splash marans are quite popular.

I will add I live in FL and it gets over 100 on our hottest summer days and folks down here raise all of the breeds you listed with no issues during the heat.

Farmfresh

Unread post by Farmfresh » Sun Mar 10, 2019 9:25 am

I have Marans. They are a nice heavy bodied bird, but they do fine here in Missouri's too hot then too cold weather. We have had both cuckoo, and the black ones.

Rhodie Ranch

Unread post by Rhodie Ranch » Sun Mar 10, 2019 11:22 am

I bought my four chicks two Octobers ago at a place similar to Tractor Supply. All the stores have chicks right now. All kinds too.

Return to “Poultry”