Tell me about meaties....

Old Fashioned

Tell me about meaties....

Unread post by Old Fashioned » Sat Jul 07, 2018 10:13 pm

Just how, if at all, are they different from standard chickens? Other than the fast growth rate.

If they are to be butchered at 8 weeks.......when do you put them outside? If they are allowed to forage some & say only fed twice a day instead of 24/7, they would grow a bit slower, yes?

Please tell me as if I knew nothing of raising chickens.

Farmfresh

Re: Tell me about meaties....

Unread post by Farmfresh » Sun Jul 08, 2018 2:47 am

Yes. They grow a lot faster because they are always starving.

I try to get mine out by 2 weeks at the latest. They stink. That is why I usually raise them as a fall crop, so they can go out in the warm/ hot weather as babies and finish when it is cooler. I feed mine on pasture once a day at first and twice a day at the end, since 30 of the little dears will rip through 20 pounds of feed a day at the end. They are like feeding piranhas! They do grow about 2 to 3 weeks longer on grass, but they taste better and are more healthy.
Matthew 19:26 Jesus looked at them and said, "With man this is impossible, but with God all things are possible."
"Stop Dreaming About the Good Life and Start Living IT !"
Every little bit ... is a little bit.

Farmfresh

Unread post by Farmfresh » Sun Jul 08, 2018 2:50 am

I have some decent video on my meat birds here.

Matthew 19:26 Jesus looked at them and said, "With man this is impossible, but with God all things are possible."

Old Fashioned

Unread post by Old Fashioned » Sun Jul 08, 2018 1:32 pm

You also raise Dark Cornish??? How are they comparable to the Cornish X??? Other than not being a FrankenChicken? I realize they would grow out slower & more sustainable & all that......but what about meat-wise? Is the carcass as (or nearly) filled out like X's? Or are the DC's more similar to any multi-purpose bird, like an Orpington for example???

Didn't you keep one of your X's beyond it's normal butcher weight/age? Didn't she do quite well (growth, health, etc) until she passed? How old was she when she did?

Farmfresh

Unread post by Farmfresh » Sun Jul 08, 2018 10:30 pm

Yes. The Dark Cornish are a heritage breed. My all time favorites as well. Good sized birds, neat in appearance and heavy as a brick. Look at the pic above and a Dark Cornish is there in the front and the Cornish X is the white bird behind her. Heritage Cornish (I also have Buff Cornish and White Laced Red Cornish) are game birds. They have dense heavy meaty bodies, wide breasts, and a gamey personality. They hide well from hawks, forage well, are great broodies and lay plenty of medium brown eggs. Not as much as a regular dual purpose bird, but enough eggs for me.

I kept two of the Cornish X hens. They both died this year at 2 and 3 years old respectively.

Old Fashioned

Unread post by Old Fashioned » Sun Mar 17, 2019 9:49 am

I'm still contemplating raising a few meaties this year....maybe....probably.....I don't know yet |em2|

I don't know why, but for some reason I didn't realize meaties had their own brand/type of feed and I suppose it would be necessary for the higher protein...….BUT....do you really have to provide that feed? Or can you give flock raiser and they just grow out slower? |em22|

AND...…can I feed meat bird to my egg flock??? I don't mean a steady diet of it, but the meaty feed comes in 40lb bags and if there is any leftover?

I know NOT to feed layer to meaties, so no worries on that score

Farmfresh

Unread post by Farmfresh » Sun Mar 17, 2019 7:28 pm

I do not feed my meaties that fast grow crap. Nor do I medicate them (unless of course they are actually sick). I start all my babies on 24 % for the first few weeks, usually one bag. Then I give them a bag of 20% and after that I just feed them good old 10% scratch grain and grass for the most part. I do occasionally give them table scraps and the like. Guess what? I even feed them layer sometimes if that is what I have on hand.

IMHO meaties are just like any other bird with the caveats that they CAN grow too fast and die of heart attacks and they are much more susceptible to overheating, especially when they are close to freezer camp size. The more you can encourage them to get off their fat butts and be chickens the healthier they are and the better they taste.

Look at some of my meaties. Different from the overstuffed Frankenbirds that most people talk about.

Old Fashioned

Unread post by Old Fashioned » Sun Mar 17, 2019 11:30 pm

Great info as always, thanks Farm |em1|

Return to “Poultry”