Turkeys

Old Fashioned

Re: Turkeys

Unread post by Old Fashioned » Wed Jul 03, 2019 12:26 am

I have 4 Black Spanish this year and I think they're about 3 (?) months old. One of them is a bit bigger, along with the snood & canuckles and has been doing the huffy puffy dance, so I'm pretty sure he's a jake. Then there is one that is smaller than the others and almost no snood knob at all, and is probably a hen. The other 2 are somewhere in the middle of those two. Not as big as the jake and not as small as the hen and same with the snood knob. Theirs is bigger than the one, but still much smaller than the jake. None of the others have been displaying that I'm aware of, but they may not be quite as old/matured as the one jake.

And he seems to be a bit of a bully or maybe he's just a young buck male trying to do nature's hormonal bidding. He will grab one of the others by the head and hangs on tight while they try to get away, going around in circles until another will break it up by jumping in the middle of the foray and flap their wings. Maybe the hens just haven't figured out what males are for yet |em22|

I'm kinda leaning on one male & 3 females, but I've been wrong before.

Farmfresh

Unread post by Farmfresh » Wed Jul 03, 2019 12:45 am

Turkeys are hard to sex. It takes me forever to be certain who is who. The huffy puffy dude is definitely a boy.
Matthew 19:26 Jesus looked at them and said, "With man this is impossible, but with God all things are possible."
"Stop Dreaming About the Good Life and Start Living IT !"
Every little bit ... is a little bit.

Old Fashioned

Unread post by Old Fashioned » Thu Jul 11, 2019 3:29 pm

Well I can see why they get the reputation of being stupid by drowning themselves in a rainstorm......mine do have a shelter but I'll be darned if they'll go in there, or stay there when I put them in. Rained pretty heavily yesterday and where are they?????? Laying behind the shelter on the west side......the one that gets the worst of the weather |em16|

In other words, I gotta figure out a different spot for them. Either in the coop with the chickens or in the open-air next to the coop

patriceinil

Unread post by patriceinil » Fri Jul 12, 2019 8:17 am

Maybe if they stayed out during a hail storm they would decide to seek shelter the next storm. I hope they are all okay after their shower courtesy of Mother Nature.

Farmfresh

Unread post by Farmfresh » Fri Jul 12, 2019 8:45 am

They like a place where they can get up high. I think you could store turkeys in a closet as long as it had a pole at the top of it.
Matthew 19:26 Jesus looked at them and said, "With man this is impossible, but with God all things are possible."

Rhodie Ranch

Unread post by Rhodie Ranch » Fri Jul 12, 2019 1:22 pm

Mother has always said that turkeys are sooo stupid...Grandpa raised them in their Philadelphia back yard during the depression, when he was laid off from being an engineer. Mother hates turkeys.

Farmfresh

Unread post by Farmfresh » Fri Jul 12, 2019 6:06 pm

Everyone says they are stupid, but I disagree. Turkeys are VERY cautious. Anything new in the pen and they take a good long look before you get too close.

Throw out a bit of food they are not familiar with and it takes about 3 minutes of careful investigation before they even get close. You could throw a hot coal and a chicken would rush up and grab the thing to get there before the others.

Turkeys ARE different that is for sure. They may rather stand in the rain than go into a building where a loud noise or something is "different". They can be infuriating, but I don't think they are as stupid as they are given credit for.

Old Fashioned

Unread post by Old Fashioned » Sat Jul 13, 2019 12:44 am

Well, I tried for a photo op and as always they wouldn't cooperate...…..this was the best I could get.

The one on the top far left is the boy, the bottom far right I think is a girl. As for the two in the middle I have no idea. And probably they are all boys. I noticed tonight they all have a snood bump now, so I'm thinking the one is older than the rest. |em22|

Farmfresh

Unread post by Farmfresh » Sat Jul 13, 2019 7:49 am

The males usually get bigger than the females and just in general grow faster. I'll have to try and get some pics of my juveniles to show you.

Hopefully I can get something on the film. You know what they say about working with children and animals.

Return to “Poultry”