2019 Garden Thread

Old Fashioned

Re: 2019 Garden Thread

Unread post by Old Fashioned » Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:35 pm

Murphy......I wonder if any stores near you sell raw peanuts??? Isn't that what you plant to grow them??? |em22|

Farmfresh

Unread post by Farmfresh » Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:08 pm

It is. I think I got my seed from Baker Creek the last time I bought them. Tennessee Reds.

https://www.rareseeds.com/tennessee-red-peanut/
Matthew 19:26 Jesus looked at them and said, "With man this is impossible, but with God all things are possible."
"Stop Dreaming About the Good Life and Start Living IT !"
Every little bit ... is a little bit.

Old Fashioned

Unread post by Old Fashioned » Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:52 pm

Good. The store I get most of our meat & produce has big bags of raw peanuts. I have bought some in the past so hubs could feed the squirrels.

Weatherman promised today and the next few days is supposed to be dry. So I got out there today to get things ready for getting ready to prep it for spring planting. I moved the second tall raised bed into place so it's in line with the waterbed frame bed and the other tall raised bed. I filled it with much of the smaller branches, then hauled in dirt from the lower garden area. Now I just need to refill the other one, then I'll have 2 tall beds ready for planting & mulching.
Tomorrow I'll fill the other bed, then will lay out the door frame and #3's twin bed frame longwise across the bottom of the other beds, with a walk path between & around. Plus I need to find a good spot for the new compost heap. Maybe in the chicken area
I also cleaned out the branches from the chicken area and moved the fence to keep them out of it since there is some grass in there & I want it to grow a bit. It felt good to get out there & get something done. |em7|

Old Fashioned

Unread post by Old Fashioned » Sun Jan 13, 2019 12:58 am

In my seed orders I got a couple of freebies of things we won't grow or eat, so if anyone wants them let me know.

1.) Amarillo Carrot.....with yellow root, not orange

2.) Jing Orange Okra.....orange pods not green.

Farmfresh

Unread post by Farmfresh » Sun Jan 13, 2019 4:36 am

I have actually heard of that carrot before, but... Orange Okra? I am intrigued. Where did you get your seed order from?
Matthew 19:26 Jesus looked at them and said, "With man this is impossible, but with God all things are possible."

Old Fashioned

Unread post by Old Fashioned » Sun Jan 13, 2019 11:20 am

I think the carrot was from Baker Creek and the Okra from Sustainable Seed. I'll be glad to send them to you. Just say the word :grin:

kbhlmh

Unread post by kbhlmh » Thu May 02, 2019 4:09 pm

Hi everyone! I am new to the forum. Aren't any of you gardening yet or is this just normally a quiet topic?
Karen - SW Florida Zone 10a
Just A Small Yard Gardener
Me 57 |em27| DH 62
DS1 33, DD1 30, DD2 30, DS2 29, DS3 13 |em20|
|em21| |em21| |em21| |em21| |em21|

Farmfresh

Unread post by Farmfresh » Thu May 02, 2019 8:55 pm

Listen southern gal... some of us still got snow in the last few weeks. We will get there. LOL

Actually... I have potatoes and onions planted in my tank garden. The potatoes are doing pretty well so far. Just planted some broccoli and brussels sprouts the other day as well.

The others do have some stuff in. Time to get this thread going.

kbhlmh

Unread post by kbhlmh » Thu May 02, 2019 9:12 pm

|em8| Farmfresh - I'm glad you've gotten some things in the ground already. I currently have tomatoes, peppers, cantaloupe, watermelon, cucumbers, onions, carrots, peas, herbs, potatoes, garlic and corn - all in various stages of growth. I've been harvesting some of my cucumbers, onions and garlic and my peppers have been producing since Fall. I've replaced my Fall tomatoes with my Spring tomatoes but I got them in the ground about a month or so too late which means I'll have a short season as the heat sets in. It's already been in the 90's here a couple of times. Craziness! Soon our growing season will be over and you will be in full swing! Have you started seedlings indoors?
Karen - SW Florida Zone 10a
Just A Small Yard Gardener
Me 57 |em27| DH 62
DS1 33, DD1 30, DD2 30, DS2 29, DS3 13 |em20|
|em21| |em21| |em21| |em21| |em21|

Old Fashioned

Unread post by Old Fashioned » Thu May 02, 2019 10:01 pm

Up here in the NW corner I have taters, some onions, peas, beets, carrots, broccoli, cabbage, celery, cauliflower, lettuces & spinach growing. Then bought & planted tomatoes & peppers in the raised beds, only to get hit by frost. Now I have them covered (a bit late) and I think they'll survive. Plus I have a bunch of volunteer tomatoes coming up. So far, I've only harvested from the lettuces and onion tops for green onions.

Still too cold for things like corn, beans, cucumbers, squash....but maybe by next month I can get them in. I think I have until around June 15 or so, but anything much later than that and it won't have enough time.

Return to “Gardening”