WHO AM I? A Place to ID All of Those Plants We Find Both Edible and Not.

Farmfresh

WHO AM I? A Place to ID All of Those Plants We Find Both Edible and Not.

Unread post by Farmfresh » Sun Jul 26, 2015 7:05 am

We have already had a few plants IDed on this forum in other spots, so it is probably a good idea to put all of them in one spot for easy future references.

Here is the way to play this game. If you have a plant that you are wondering about we need a couple of decent pictures. One where it was found, on side shot and a close up of leaves, flowers or seeds. Once we make a permanent ID I will make it an ID Card.

Example 1.
WHO AM I ... I was found in a pasture.

IDed by Sparrow and Dizzy as a member of the Amaranth family. Probably Palmer Amaranth.
Matthew 19:26 Jesus looked at them and said, "With man this is impossible, but with God all things are possible."
"Stop Dreaming About the Good Life and Start Living IT !"
Every little bit ... is a little bit.

Grahammok

WHO AM I A Place to ID All of Those Plants We Find Both Edible and Not

Unread post by Grahammok » Fri Mar 02, 2018 4:45 am

If I am planting lots of plants how do I track where they are and when to harvest?
good mood

patriceinil

Re: WHO AM I? A Place to ID All of Those Plants We Find Both Edible and Not.

Unread post by patriceinil » Fri Mar 02, 2018 8:15 am

I use a notebook to record when and where I plant what. I mark in the log what the variety is and the location in the garden of where I placed the plant/seeds that I am growing are located.

I draw diagrams of my beds or rows and label each section of them with the information for what is planted there so I can go back and reference it later.

I also have a separate notebook that I use for my perennial plants like my fruit trees and berry bushes. In that one I record the date planted, the variety of the plant and the location in my yard of where I placed it. I also use that one to keep track of my ornamental plants for my yard like my roses and shrubs.

patriceinil

Unread post by patriceinil » Fri Mar 02, 2018 8:18 am

Also try adding garden markers placed by each plant in the garden/yard until you are familiar with what you have placed where. They can be simple plastic markers or even a stone that you paint the plant name on with weather proof paint. If you are crafty, you can make fancy plant markers to decorate your garden.

Farmfresh

Unread post by Farmfresh » Fri Mar 02, 2018 12:34 pm

I would also suggest not to plant lots of plants if this is your first garden. Start slow. Plant about 3 to 5 different things that are easy to grow and that you enjoy eating. Green beans, lettuce, tomatoes, peppers, beets and turnips are all easy things to grow.
Matthew 19:26 Jesus looked at them and said, "With man this is impossible, but with God all things are possible."
"Stop Dreaming About the Good Life and Start Living IT !"
Every little bit ... is a little bit.

Return to “Foraging”