Bone Broth-beef or chicken

Family favorites and special dishes. Share your best recipes here.
Old Fashioned

Re: Bone Broth-beef or chicken

Unread post by Old Fashioned »

I had a pot of beef broth going since yesterday and I finally dragged out the canning supplies to can it up. (the last couple batches of broth ended up in the fridge and used as needed cause I was too lazy to can it |em28| )

Today ended up with 16qts & 4pts and somehow it's turned out to be the best batch yet. Fairly clear, deep rich brown and great taste. |em24| I also took pics of the difference between today's broth and from a previous batch to show what I mean by cloudy.

Beef broth is in the quart jars and chicken in the pint. The older beef jar doesn't look as cloudy with the light behind it, but sure does otherwise. You can also see sediment in the bottoms and the tops of the older jars......and I did the same process with all of them. |em22|

Farmfresh

Unread post by Farmfresh »

Did you pressure can those? I would worry that they are contaminated in some way.
And, isn't sanity really just a one-trick pony anyway? I mean all you get is one trick, rational thinking, but when you're good and crazy, oooh, oooh, oooh, the sky is the limit. -The Tick ~~ Bible verse Revelation 6:15-17 - look it up!

patriceinil

Unread post by patriceinil »

Did you strain the broth before filling your jars? It may just be bits of meat/vegetables/seasonings that are floating or settled at the bottom of the jars.

If you did not pressure can then then they will not be useable because you could get very sick from improper canning.

Old Fashioned

Unread post by Old Fashioned »

and everyone is entitled to their opinion. |em25|

Farmfresh

Unread post by Farmfresh »

It would scare me too. |em28|
And, isn't sanity really just a one-trick pony anyway? I mean all you get is one trick, rational thinking, but when you're good and crazy, oooh, oooh, oooh, the sky is the limit. -The Tick ~~ Bible verse Revelation 6:15-17 - look it up!

patriceinil

Unread post by patriceinil »

No offense OF, I just don’t want you to get sick. |em25|