The "What's For Supper?" Thread

Family favorites and special dishes. Share your best recipes here.
patriceinil

Re: The "What's For Supper?" Thread

Unread post by patriceinil »

OF, I’m more of a cheese, bacon, sour cream and chives girl.

Your ribs sound delicious, I would have cooked them in the crockpot and finished them over the fire.

patriceinil

I actually cooked dinner tonight, |em13| I was tired of eating cereal. :lol:

I made spaghetti, I loaded the sauce with eggplant, zucchini, carrots, tomatoes, onions and garlic plus ground beef and Italian sausage. It was delicious especially after I topped it with a blend of 6 Italian cheeses. Only thing missing was some nice garlic bread. :sad:

Old Fashioned

Unread post by Old Fashioned »

patriceinil wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2019 11:11 pm OF, I’m more of a cheese, bacon, sour cream and chives girl.
That sounds good too |em24|

Tonight, I made an old favorite that I used to make when we went camping....a one pot wonder

One Heck of a Breakfast

1 lb breakfast meat (ham, bacon, sausage or your favorite)
1/2 C chopped onion
1/2 C chopped sweet peppers (I mix red & green)
2 or 3 potatoes cut in chunks
dozen eggs
1 C shredded cheese

Cook meat & crumble if needed. Add onions, peppers, & potatoes and cook till almost done. Scramble up the eggs & pour it over. Cook and stir till eggs coat everything and are done. Top with cheese & let sit to melt while you butter the toast to go with it..... |em24|

patriceinil

Yum! I’m tossing around the idea of making a crustless quiche, a gf lasagna and another casserole today.

Farmfresh

Unread post by Farmfresh »

Breakfast for dinner sounds like a plan for tonight!
And, isn't sanity really just a one-trick pony anyway? I mean all you get is one trick, rational thinking, but when you're good and crazy, oooh, oooh, oooh, the sky is the limit. -The Tick ~~ Bible verse Revelation 6:15-17 - look it up!

Old Fashioned

So I need more ideas, especially with my tummy troubles and need for better choices. After the last couple of nights with spicy Fajitas which surprisingly didn't bother me, then Lemon Pepper Chicken with spaghetti squash that did....I'm thinking more subtle for tonight and hope it sits well.

Turkey Pot Pie

1 qt home canned turkey meat
chopped onion
minced garlic
2 or 3 potatoes cubed
1 pt celery
1 pt corn
1 pt green beans
1 pt carrots
1 can peas
a dab of fat & some flour for roux
1 qt broth
1 pie crust
salt & pepper to taste

Cook the onion & garlic in the fat, add flour for roux. Add enough broth for a thin gravy. Dump in the meat & veggies, bring to a boil, then simmer about 15-20 minutes. Add broth if too thick during cooking. Then pour it all into a casserole or pie dish. Top with crust and bake 350 till browned & bubbly.

Maybe this should be called "Dump Pot Pie" :grin:

Farmfresh

Sounds good... whatever you call it.
And, isn't sanity really just a one-trick pony anyway? I mean all you get is one trick, rational thinking, but when you're good and crazy, oooh, oooh, oooh, the sky is the limit. -The Tick ~~ Bible verse Revelation 6:15-17 - look it up!

Old Fashioned

And it was |em24| And 2 hours in, no major problems. Though I did skip the corn & peas.

patriceinil

It sounds delicious, I’m glad to hear it didn’t bother your stomach.

Farmfresh

We haven't posted to this old thread in a LONG time. LOL.

I was getting pretty hungry today and decided to cook myself up some dinner. Hubby is over at D2's so it was just me, but I got to cooking and ended up with a masterpiece.
At least that is what MY tummy said. |em24|

I had a few bell peppers that my friend Judy had brought from her garden that were needing to get cooked, so I decided on a Green Pepper Beef stir fry.

I started with about half of a beef round steak. I partially thawed it and cut the whole thing into stir fry strips, then packed up about half of the strips and stuck them back in the freezer. They will make a nice fajita sometime soon. The rest of the strips went into a bowl with a pinch of baking soda and a dab of water to tenderize the meat. It marinated and continued to thaw, while I cut up the bell peppers, a yellow squash, an onion, celery tops, two tomatoes and some garlic. I opened and drained a can each of mushrooms and water chestnuts.

Then it was time to start cooking. Into the pan went some olive oil and the beef. I browned it a bit then dumped the rest of the veggies in, black pepper, ginger, tumeric and started sauteing. Once everything was cooking along I popped on the lid to let it steam and made the gravy mixins. GF beef bouillon packets, cornstarch, soy sauce and the liquid off of the mushrooms in addition to a little cold water. Stirred. Off came the lid and in went the sauce until it thickened. Then I served myself over a bed of fluffy rice.

It was amazing folks. I took a picture to prove it. |em12|