Chunky Salsa or Pico de Gallo

Family favorites and special dishes. Share your best recipes here.
Old Fashioned

Chunky Salsa or Pico de Gallo

Unread post by Old Fashioned »

Sorry, I don't have any measurements and just eyeball it and plenty of taste tests to get it right. I think it's best as fresh, but I have canned it as well. Still tastes good, but the flavor does change a bit. Add or subtract as you prefer to your own personal taste

Tomatoes
Sweet green peppers
onions
fresh garlic cloves
cilantro
jalapenos
limes
ACV or other type vinegar
taco seasoning OR a good dose of cumin, cayenne pepper, paprika, chili powder, etc
salt

Chop or dice first 6 veggies into a large bowl. Cut limes in half and squeeze out the juice, then chop the pulp and grate for zest. Add a bit of vinegar, seasonings and salt. Stir to mix well and refridgerate for 15-20 minutes to blend flavors.

If you wish a more saucy salsa, just add some tomato sauce to the mix.

Rhodie Ranch

Re: Chunky Salsa or Pico de Gallo

Unread post by Rhodie Ranch »

ohhhh...cilantro! and lime! Thanks.
Found water and ------better weather, yeah, maybe not.....

Farmfresh

Unread post by Farmfresh »

Yum!
And, isn't sanity really just a one-trick pony anyway? I mean all you get is one trick, rational thinking, but when you're good and crazy, oooh, oooh, oooh, the sky is the limit. -The Tick ~~ Bible verse Revelation 6:15-17 - look it up!

patriceinil

Unread post by patriceinil »

That sounds good minus the cilantro which doesn’t play nicely with me!

Rhodie Ranch

Unread post by Rhodie Ranch »

We had to go into town today. I posted on CL two gorgeous tea cups and saucers that got broken in the move. For free. A gal wanted them. I bought some cilantro and three limes! YUM!
Found water and ------better weather, yeah, maybe not.....

calendula

Unread post by calendula »

I loooove pico de Gallo. And I’ve got loads of tomatoes right now!

Old Fashioned

Unread post by Old Fashioned »

Besides as a salsa or pica de gallo, it's also great as a marinade or to just throw it in with some meat while cooking.

This morning I made up a batch and poured most of it over some thin cut bottom round steaks and let it all marinade all day long. Then tonight I scraped it off the steaks and sliced them about 1/2 inch strips. In a hot skillet with a bit of olive oil, I quickly seared the meat, then poured the salsa/marinade back in the pan. Then served it up with some warmed soft flour tortillas on the side, rice & beans. I'd saved a bit aside from this morning to use as fresh salsa with guacamole & sour cream as condiments. YUM! My version of Carne Asada.

I also use something like this for street tacos except without the tomatoes & peppers but with lots more lime, onion and cilantro, then once the steak is cooked, I'll cut it up fairly small pieces, add the meat & marinade together in a pan and cook for just a minute or two to heat thru. Put a scoop on those small corn tortillas, then top with additional fresh onions & cilantro.

patriceinil

Unread post by patriceinil »

Yum, that sounds REALLY good! I have a bunch of tomatoes and some jalapeños sitting here just no onions or lime juice. Maybe I’ll take a trip to the grocery store and pick up the onions and lime juice, we don’t care for cilantro so I’ll just leave that out.