Bacon & Tortilla Wrapped Cheese Stuffed Hot Dogs

Family favorites and special dishes. Share your best recipes here.
Old Fashioned

Bacon & Tortilla Wrapped Cheese Stuffed Hot Dogs

Unread post by Old Fashioned »

Years ago there was a gas station that had these in their hot case and they were delicious. Then the people sold out and I haven't seen them since, anywhere. I've made them a few times over the years but had forgotten about them until a couple of months ago. So I made a batch and when the boys got home, they were all gone. And every time I've tried to make even more, they still don't last. That's how good they are. Of course they are better eaten fresh, but can be made up and frozen, to take out & reheated as needed.

Bacon & Tortilla wrapped Cheese stuffed Hot Dogs

Lay out a tortilla and put on a hot dog that is cut lengthwise, but not all the way thru, making a pocket. Stuff a piece of cheese into the cut. Then roll the hot dog in the tortilla. Wrap a slice of bacon around the tortilla, starting at one end and wrapping around to the other end. The bacon should have enough fat to stick to the tortilla, but you can secure both ends with toothpicks. Then fry in some hot oil till bacon is done & tortilla is golden brown.

I've never tried it, but corn tortillas would probaby work just as well. I'll be making another batch in a day or two and want to try baking them instead of frying in oil. I'll let you know how well it works....unless anyone else wants to try it & report back.

patriceinil

Re: Bacon & Tortilla Wrapped Cheese Stuffed Hot Dogs

Unread post by patriceinil »

Sounds yummy! I’ve made the hot dogs stuffed with cheese and wrapped with bacon then baked in the oven until the bacon was crispy and the cheese melted.

Farmfresh

Unread post by Farmfresh »

Those look GOOD. I would want a couple of jalapeno slices slipped in there too.
And, isn't sanity really just a one-trick pony anyway? I mean all you get is one trick, rational thinking, but when you're good and crazy, oooh, oooh, oooh, the sky is the limit. -The Tick ~~ Bible verse Revelation 6:15-17 - look it up!

Old Fashioned

Patrice.....yep just about the same, other than the tortilla

Farm........that would work too

I just finished making a double batch and half are gone already. This time I put them on a baking sheet & stuck them in the oven. It worked just as well and alot less grease........but I should have used the broiler pan so all the grease would drip away. I also thought of just putting them in a fry pan and maybe next time I'll try that.

Old Fashioned

I did up a bunch of these yesterday to use up some stuff from the freezer. Made about 3 dozen. YUMMMMMM!!!! |em24|

Farmfresh

Unread post by Farmfresh »

Have you ever used the hotdogs that already have the cheese inside? I am not a hot dog fan, but I like those ones from Eckridge.
And, isn't sanity really just a one-trick pony anyway? I mean all you get is one trick, rational thinking, but when you're good and crazy, oooh, oooh, oooh, the sky is the limit. -The Tick ~~ Bible verse Revelation 6:15-17 - look it up!

Old Fashioned

Nope, I just buy the cheap ones. Bar S and John Morrell. I have about 20 pkgs in the freezer that I had bought when they were $1 or less. I do use them for the Poormans Meal and hubs hot dog goulash and for these.

But I don't see why the Eckridge ones wouldn't work too, just don't cut the dog or add cheese........unless you wanted too |em22|

ETA......we also use hot dogs with chili or mac & cheese

patriceinil

I have eaten some of the hotdogs with cheese as well as the Eckrich sausages with cheese and like both but haven’t bought them in a long time because they’re expensive. I got the regular Oscar Mayer and Ball Park hotdogs on sale for Memorial Day. Now to make room and get them into the freezer.

I’m going to have to make some gluten free tortillas and try making these. I refuse to pay what they are charging for gluten free flour tortillas.

Old Fashioned

Aren't corn tortillas GF??? Those would probably work just fine if you steamed or otherwise heated them to soften so they don't crack when rolling. I'm sure there would be a different flavor but maybe worth a try

patriceinil

Most corn tortillas are gluten free but I’m not fond of hotdogs with a corn tortilla crust.