Chocolate Zucchini Bread

Family favorites and special dishes. Share your best recipes here.
HybridHomesteader

Chocolate Zucchini Bread

Unread post by HybridHomesteader »

Chocolate zucchini bread.

Very forgiving. I make mine with GF flour and egg replacer. I skip the draining of the zucchini because the gf flour tends to be dry. Not in this recipe. A sprinkle of chocolate chips tops it off nicely. I make this into muffins for lunchbox portions as well. Today it became a cake for my hubby’s b day.

Shared to me by Pam’s Pride. |em1|

Chocolate Zucchini Bread

This recipe makes 2 loaves; you can easily divide the recipe in half to make just one loaf.
The recipe calls for 4 cups of grated zucchini, which will yield particularly moist loaves. I've made it with 3 cups, which was also very good, just not as sublime as with 4 cups.
* Prep time: 10 minutesCook time: 1 hour, 10 minutesYield: Makes 2 loaves
INGREDIENTS
* 4 cups grated zucchini (from about a pound and a half of zucchini)
* 2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
* 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa (use natural unsweetened cocoa, NOT Dutch processed)
* 2 teaspoons baking soda
* 1/2 teaspoon salt
* 1 teaspoon cinnamon
* 1 1/2 cups granulated white sugar
* 2 eggs
* 3/4 cup unsalted butter (12 Tbsp or 1 1/2 sticks), melted
* 1/2 teaspoon instant coffee granules
* 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
METHOD
1 Drain excess moisture from grated zucchini: Place the freshly grated zucchini in a sieve over a bowl to catch any excess moisture as it drains, while you work on prepping the other ingredients and preparing the recipe.
If for some reason your zucchini is on the dry side, hydrate the shredded zucchini by soaking it in water first, and then place in sieve.

2 Preheat oven, prepare loaf pans: Preheat oven to 350°F, with a rack in the middle. Grease two 9x5-inch loaf pans with baking spray or butter.

3 Whisk together flour, cocoa, baking soda, salt, cinnamon: Vigorously whisk together the flour, unsweetened cocoa, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon in a large bowl. Whisk until there are no more clumps and the ingredients are well combined.

4 Beat sugar and eggs, add melted butter, instant coffee granules, almond extract: In a separate large bowl, beat together the sugar and eggs until smooth, about a minute. You can do this with an electric mixer on medium speed, or by hand with a wooden spoon. (I'm lazy and use a mixer but it's easy enough to do by hand.)
Add the melted butter, instant coffee granules, and almond extract and beat until smooth.
5 Stir zucchini into sugar egg mixture, add flour mixture: Mix the shredded zucchini into the sugar egg mixture.
Add the flour to the zucchini mixture in 3 additions, stirring to combine after each addition.
6 Divide batter into pans and bake: Work quickly, and divide the batter between the two prepared loaf pans. (Work quickly because once the dry ingredients have mixed with the wet ingredients, the leavening has begun.)

Place into the oven. Bake for 50 minutes at 350°F, or until a skewer inserted into the center comes out clean and easily.
7 Cool: Remove to a rack. Let cool in the pan for 5 minutes, then run a blunt knife around the edges to separate the bread from the pan. Remove from the loaf pans and let cool completely on a rack.
Note that if you try to slice the chocolate zucchini bread before it has completely cooled, it will be rather crumbly. It's also easiest to slice with a bread knife.
Gina, Hybrid Homesteader, It'sMeG, TanksHill.... Mom, Wife, trouble maker extraordinaire.

Farmfresh

Re: Chocolate Zucchini Bread

Unread post by Farmfresh »

I WILL be making this one. That sounds wonderful, but for me I will probably be skipping the coffee. I am not a fan of that at all. Thanks for posting it. Do you also have that icing recipe?
And, isn't sanity really just a one-trick pony anyway? I mean all you get is one trick, rational thinking, but when you're good and crazy, oooh, oooh, oooh, the sky is the limit. -The Tick ~~ Bible verse Revelation 6:15-17 - look it up!

patriceinil

Unread post by patriceinil »

Sounds delicious!

dizzy

Unread post by dizzy »

I'd be skipping the coffee as well. Don't have any instant, and I'm not about to buy it. Plus, I can only have decaf.

Old Fashioned

Unread post by Old Fashioned »

Oh that sounds just like one that I have, but without the coffee & almond extract.....I think. I'd have to look it up and too darn lazy at the moment.
The chocolate chips sprinkled over the top when it comes out of the oven has enough heat to melt the chips, or just sprinkle powder sugar over it works good too. |em24|

I've made mine a couple of times over the years, thinking I could sneak the zucchini past the kids. HA! 2 bites in, which they loved, but discovered the 'green stuff', then they wouldn't eat it |em16|

Farmfresh

Unread post by Farmfresh »

More for me then. I LOVE love zucchini.
And, isn't sanity really just a one-trick pony anyway? I mean all you get is one trick, rational thinking, but when you're good and crazy, oooh, oooh, oooh, the sky is the limit. -The Tick ~~ Bible verse Revelation 6:15-17 - look it up!