Reuben Casserole

Family favorites and special dishes. Share your best recipes here.
Farmfresh

Reuben Casserole

Unread post by Farmfresh »

I made the Reuben casserole the other day and it was AMAZING.

Reuben Casserole

* 6 to 8 large potatoes (or one per person and two for the pan) sliced in thin chips.
* 1 large onion cut in slivers
* shredded cheddar cheese (lots)
* garlic powder, black pepper (skip the salt as Corned beef is already salty)
* enough milk to just cover potatoes.
* 1 cooked Corned Beef cut and shredded into bite size pieces
* 2 jars old fashioned crispy sauerkraut
* Swiss cheese slices - enough to well cover casserole top

-----

Start just like you are making augratin potatoes, but skipping the butter and salt, since corned beef has plenty of fat and salt. Slice up potatoes and onions on a mandolin. Stir them both together with the garlic powder and black pepper. Mix in the shredded cheddar cheese. Spread out into a greased casserole dish in a nice layer. Add enough milk to just about cover the potatoes. Bake at 350 F about 15 minutes, until the potatoes about half way done. Remove from the oven. Cover the top of the potatoes with a layer of the cooked chopped corned beef. Add a nice thick layer of sauerkraut on top of that. Return to the oven another 15 to 20 minutes until the potatoes completely done. Remove from the oven and top with a layer of Swiss cheese and return to the oven just long enough to melt and toast the cheese. (approx 5 min)

------

I made a big flat roaster full and with 5 adults and Kid eating there were NO leftovers.
And, isn't sanity really just a one-trick pony anyway? I mean all you get is one trick, rational thinking, but when you're good and crazy, oooh, oooh, oooh, the sky is the limit. -The Tick ~~ Bible verse Revelation 6:15-17 - look it up!

Rhodie Ranch

Re: Reuben Casserole

Unread post by Rhodie Ranch »

YUM!!!
Found water and ------better weather, yeah, maybe not.....

Farmfresh

I have a lady working at Walmart to thank for this recipe. I was looking for sauerkraut and she helped me find it, then shared the recipe. I will have to go look her up and thank her for it.
And, isn't sanity really just a one-trick pony anyway? I mean all you get is one trick, rational thinking, but when you're good and crazy, oooh, oooh, oooh, the sky is the limit. -The Tick ~~ Bible verse Revelation 6:15-17 - look it up!

patriceinil

Unread post by patriceinil »

Sounds yummy!

Rhodie Ranch

Unread post by Rhodie Ranch »

I mentioned this to DD and SIL. They immediately said, we don't like 1000 island dressing, and we're not sure of the cheese and and and...

Forget it. I'llmake it at home.
Found water and ------better weather, yeah, maybe not.....

Farmfresh

Their loss. BTW... I don't like 1000 island either and the casserole doesn't call for any.

The person I got the recipe from said that she crumbles buttered rye bread crumbs on top as well. I don't because then it wouldn't be GF.

patriceinil

If you could find the Rye Style Gluten Free Bread I get here I bet it would be super yummy!

Farmfresh

I haven't found it yet.

patriceinil

Three Bakers Whole Grain Rye Style Bread, 19 Ounce -- 6 per case.

patriceinil

I’ve been paying $6.49 a loaf locally for a 17 oz loaf.