Bone Broth-beef or chicken

Family favorites and special dishes. Share your best recipes here.
Old Fashioned

Bone Broth-beef or chicken

Unread post by Old Fashioned »

If you have another or better recipe, feel free to include it too. :grin:

I do my broths very similar. About the only real difference is that I add a couple of bay leaves to the beef.

Ingredients:

Bones for type of broth (I use saved backs & necks for chicken and some type of marrow bones for beef)
Chopped onion
Chopped celery ribs & leaves
Minced or pressed Garlic
salt & pepper to taste
water
ETA: glug of ACV

roast bones in the oven @ 400-450 degrees until nicely browned and sizzling (not cooked thru), about 10-20 minutes. Use a little of the fat to cook the vegetables on medium high heat in a stock pot, until tender. Add the bones & plenty of water to cover. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low & let simmer atleast 6-8 hours. The longer it simmers, the better the broth. Check & stir occaisionally & add more water as neccessary making sure to simmer atleast an hour or more after adding water before using. Can also be done in a crockpot.

If you're able & have the time and want less fat, for an even richer broth let it cool & refridgerate overnight. Next morning, scoop out any solidified fat collected on the top and again bring to a boil, then simmer for several more hours.

Once the broth is as done as you like it & are ready to use....strain out the bones & 'exhausted' vegetables leaving only that wonderful broth. Then start your recipe with fresh vegetables & go from there |em24|
Last edited by Old Fashioned on Thu Dec 18, 2014 11:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

House Sparrow

Re: Bone Broth-beef or chicken

Unread post by House Sparrow »

I add a glug of ACV to my broth as it is cooking. It draws out the wonderful minerals from the bones and the bones tend to crumble when the broth is doen. I feed those bones to my dogs and the chickens. But I do make sure the bones are actually falling apart. I have at times eaten those bones myself accidentally, because they are so soft.
Instead of ACV I have also used wine vinegar. It is especially good for beef broth.

Old Fashioned

Thank you HS for reminding me of that |em23| ......I had read that on one of the other forums-to add ACV-and I had done it at that time...but the last several times I've made broth I had forgotten that ingredient.

calendula

Unread post by calendula »

I add chicken feet to my chicken broth when I have them. It really boosts the gelatin content and flavor.

Old Fashioned

Cal-yes, I've tried that too & the broth was great! I just couldn't get over all those feet floating around in my soup pot |em2| :lol:

calendula

Unread post by calendula »

:eek: Yeah, it can be a little unsettling! My family is usually pretty weirded out about it. I still make them eat it. |em13|

Rhodie Ranch

Unread post by Rhodie Ranch »

So with the cost of propane (which has dropped considerably from last year) I cannot afford to run my gas range over night to make bone broth. Plus I've never made it any which way.

FF mentioned a crock pot. I do have nice large one down in the storage under the garage. I can afford the electricity cus we're on solar. How would I make bone broth in it? On high for 12 hours or on low for 12 hours?

Sometimes I see chicken backs and necks as scrap in packages at the grocery store. Should I start with that?
Found water and ------better weather, yeah, maybe not.....

Farmfresh

Unread post by Farmfresh »

I do broth in my crockpot on low. I just keep it going until it looks "right". Sometimes I simmer for days.

I do the same thing to make tomato sauces that need to be thickened only for the tomato sauces I use a screen pan topper, usually sold for frying to stop splashes, so that the steam can escape.
And, isn't sanity really just a one-trick pony anyway? I mean all you get is one trick, rational thinking, but when you're good and crazy, oooh, oooh, oooh, the sky is the limit. -The Tick ~~ Bible verse Revelation 6:15-17 - look it up!

Old Fashioned

Murph....I don't usually cook mine overnight either, I just don't trust it being left unattended in case of fire while we're sleeping. I start mine in the morning & let it simmer all day, then around supper time shut if off & let it cool. When I'm ready to go to bed I put the whole pot in the fridge and next morning pull it out, bring to a boil & simmer all the next day. That is especially good for the beef because the fat will float to the top & solidify so I can scrape it off in the morning. The chicken fat does the same, but is more 'soft' and I just spoon it off.
Do you have a woodstove or even a hot plate? A crock pot would work great also. I would start with a pot on the stove & bring it all to a boil, then put in the crockpot to simmer. Full recipe & instructions in the first post.
And a BIG yes on those backs & necks for chicken broth!!! Since I buy whole chickens & cut them up myself (cheaper that way & you get more parts), I save the necks, backs & sometimes the wing tips. When my freezer bag is full I pull them out for broth. Feet too if you can find them.
Go for it Murphy, you can do this!! |em1|

Rhodie Ranch

Unread post by Rhodie Ranch »

OF: I bought some femer bones today. About $5 worth and it was only 5 big round things. They will cook on high until I go to bed and then on low all night. I'll prob wake up worrying about it, but what the hey...I'm awake thinking about things anyway for a couple of hours every night anyway....
Found water and ------better weather, yeah, maybe not.....