Holiday Sweet Treats

Family favorites and special dishes. Share your best recipes here.
Farmfresh

Re: Holiday Sweet Treats

Unread post by Farmfresh »

Feed those boys their Christmas junk food. It is obvious that is what Christmas memories are made of.
And, isn't sanity really just a one-trick pony anyway? I mean all you get is one trick, rational thinking, but when you're good and crazy, oooh, oooh, oooh, the sky is the limit. -The Tick ~~ Bible verse Revelation 6:15-17 - look it up!

patriceinil

Unread post by patriceinil »

I agree with FF, you started a tradition of making homemade goodies and it’s obvious that your boys love them so carry on the tradition.

Rhodie Ranch

Unread post by Rhodie Ranch »

|em27| |em27| |em27| |em27| to #3
Found water and ------better weather, yeah, maybe not.....

Old Fashioned

Unread post by Old Fashioned »

Yes, you guys are right......that was why I had started the goodie tradition in the first place.....to give them those memories. Especially since nobody else does it anymore. .And because of that, I am kind of stuck with it probably for the rest of my life cause their wives probably won't.

Hey, wait a minute....I just got a thought.......#3 now has Culinary Arts at school and we've already discussed him helping with holiday meals. Or should I say I help him. Maybe I could make him make the goodies |em1| (yeah right, we'll see how all that pans out. :roll: )

Farmfresh

Unread post by Farmfresh »

I bet you can make it happen. Talk to him about handing down the gauntlet, Christmas future and all that jazz. With a little salesmanship you can form a new bond AND tradition.
And, isn't sanity really just a one-trick pony anyway? I mean all you get is one trick, rational thinking, but when you're good and crazy, oooh, oooh, oooh, the sky is the limit. -The Tick ~~ Bible verse Revelation 6:15-17 - look it up!

Old Fashioned

As it turned out for Thanksgiving......I asked #3 how HE wanted to tackle the festivities that morning and he plays dumb 'huh? what?' I reminded him that he had wanted to help and he informs me 'Yeah, I'll help EAT IT, not fix it'. |em3|

I've been slowly building up my supplies for Christmas goodies and finally made the Chex mix with plenty of Cheetos and extra sauce. Plus I made that Christmas Reindeer Crack. Hubs isn't interested in any of that and the boys weren't overly fond of it, but OMG the combination of the salty crunch and sweet M&M's & white chocolate coating has definitely made me a fan. I had broken up one candy cane & sprinkled that over half of it and I thought it was the perfect addition to round out the flavor combinations. Yes I am addicted to the stuff and will have to trash the diet plan for now. All bets are off |em14|

In the next couple of days I will make a double batch of the peanut butter chocolate bars and some rice crispy treats. One as plain and another with some chocolate chips stirred in at the last minute. The mix is still warm enough to partially melt the chips, but not
completely. |em24|

patriceinil

Sounds yummy! I haven’t started on any baking or candy making yet.

patriceinil

Time to bring this thread back up for the holidays this year!

This year I’m planning to make:

Gluten free kolackes (cherry, peach and apricot)

A gluten free version of 7 layer cookie bars (AKA Magic Cookie Bars) that I substitute crushed up gluten free pretzels for the graham crackers in the original recipe

Some Whatchamacallit bar clones (peanut butter rice crispy treats with a layer of caramel and chocolate coating)

Flourless peanut butter tarts with fudge filling or just plain flourless peanut butter cookies

Fannie Mae fudge (plain and a version that has raisins and walnuts in it)

And possibly my homemade version of Trinidads using some plain Fannie Mae fudge, vanilla candy melts and toasted coconut depending on how bad my arthritis is in my hands.

Some will be for us to enjoy but the majority will be given as gifts to friends and neighbors.

What are you planning to make this year?

Old Fashioned

Thank you for bring this thread up again. I had been thinking about this as well and wanting to do some Peppermint patties but the recipe I have in the box is the original recipe with corn syrup and I knew I didn't use it, and re-reading this confirms it.

Well so far this year, I made the peanut butter bars and surprised #3 before he could ask. I'll probably make some mint patties and maybe some Mounds. I might even get around to making some cookies, but I'll keep it simple this year.

patriceinil

I’m glad the thread helped settle the recipe debate for you OF! I just love to make and receive homemade goodies as gifts. |em1|

Peppermint patties may have to get added to my list as well, those sound really good right now. :wink: