Street Tacos

Family favorites and special dishes. Share your best recipes here.
Old Fashioned

Street Tacos

Unread post by Old Fashioned »

First time I had one, I was hooked.....that was a few years ago at our neighborhood 4th of July bash. But alas, whoever made them at the time, didn't do it again. I have since tried others, but they just weren't the same so I went on a mission researching these tasty little cravings. Between asking around, looking on the internet and some experimenting of my own......this is what I've come up with and I've made them a few times just to be sure of some kind of consistency.

2lbs (or there abouts) steak...….I've used several different cuts, 1/2 (?) inch top round, thick London Broil, paper thin bottom round, flank, thick bottom round, ball tips, etc. they all work.
1 pkg small corn tortillas (labeled for street tacos-4 inch? size)

Marinade:
1 onion chopped--set about 1/2 aside for topping
1 bunch cilantro, chopped, stems removed--set about 1/2 aside for topping
5 or 6 cloves garlic, minced
1 C. lime juice, with some pulp
splash ACV
1 T. taco seasoning
1 tsp cumin
2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp lime zest

Mix it all together & pour over steak in a 13x9 pan or put together with steak in a ziploc. Put in fridge or in a cold oven for 4-6 hours. Turn once to get marinade on other side. If you put in the fridge, take it out to get to room temp about 1/2 hour before cooking. Save the marinade and cook in a small saucepan just a few minutes.

I've cooked the steak in the broiler, in a fry pan and on the grill, all work great.....cook to about medium rare. Take off the heat source & let it rest about 10-15 minutes. With a sharp knife, cut into small pieces.

Place 3 or 4 warmed corn tortillas on a plate, top each with a generous amount of meat, drizzle the cooked marinade over the meat and top with saved fresh onion & cilantro.

You can also add some chopped Jalapeno to heat it up.....anywhere during the process. Just remember if you put it in the marinade, the meat will be hotter than if you add it to the topping at the last.

Farmfresh

Re: Street Tacos

Unread post by Farmfresh »

YUM. Another in the gotta try list.
And, isn't sanity really just a one-trick pony anyway? I mean all you get is one trick, rational thinking, but when you're good and crazy, oooh, oooh, oooh, the sky is the limit. -The Tick ~~ Bible verse Revelation 6:15-17 - look it up!

Rhodie Ranch

Unread post by Rhodie Ranch »

My DD loves street tacos make with lengua.
Found water and ------better weather, yeah, maybe not.....

patriceinil

Unread post by patriceinil »

Sounds delicious!

Old Fashioned

Unread post by Old Fashioned »

murphysranch wrote: Wed May 23, 2018 2:55 pm My DD loves street tacos make with lengua.
HA! I had to look that up since I'd never heard it before. Now I know why. :wink:

I remember Ma had fixed that before and it was ok, but she didn't change the look of it and I couldn't get over the sight of it. :shock:

Hubs talks frequently of when he was a kid in Seattle and Hispanic neighbors that would cook it often. He loved it, and wants to have it again. But I don't know how to do it and most places around here don't sell it...….restaurants or grocery stores |em22|

Rhodie Ranch

Unread post by Rhodie Ranch »

"Beef tongue or neat's tongue is a dish made of the tongue of a cow. Beef tongue is very high in fat, contributing up to 72% of its caloric content. Wikipedia"

Really? And Dd doesn't have a gall bladder anymore and suffers from diarrhea. I'm thinkin' she needs to cut down some of her fat content.
Found water and ------better weather, yeah, maybe not.....

Farmfresh

Unread post by Farmfresh »

The Mexican Mexican restaurant near us does lengua. They are my favorites. Served with lime juice, diced onion and cilantro. After they cook the tongue they dice it into about 1/4 to 1/8 inch cubes. Nothing weird to see and it tastes great!
And, isn't sanity really just a one-trick pony anyway? I mean all you get is one trick, rational thinking, but when you're good and crazy, oooh, oooh, oooh, the sky is the limit. -The Tick ~~ Bible verse Revelation 6:15-17 - look it up!