Giardiniera or Italian pickled vegetables

Jams and Jellies, pickles, fruit and high acid foods - these are all candidates for water bath canning.
Old Fashioned

Giardiniera or Italian pickled vegetables

Unread post by Old Fashioned » Fri Aug 30, 2019 10:06 pm

I hit my 2 favorite produce stands today and found me a few good bargains in their markdown section, including a head of cauliflower for $1. Could not pass that up. I've been wanting to make this stuff for a long time, but somehow never got around to it. Until today.

This particular recipe was the only one I found that was for canning, so I'm trying it & got the veggies all cut up and now soaking in salt water. I'll let you know how it tastes in a few weeks.....if I remember to post about it

https://www.daringgourmet.com/homemade-giardiniera/

Ingredients

1/2 head cauliflower, chopped into small florets
10 stalks celery, diced
5 carrots, diced
2 large red bell peppers, seeded and chopped
1 cup sliced green pitted olives
4 serrano peppers (or more according to heat preference)
Spices for EACH pint jar:
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
1/2 teaspoon coriander seeds
1/4 teaspoon yellow mustard seeds
1/4 teaspoon fennel seeds
1/4 teaspoon black peppercorns
1/4 teaspoon red chili flakes (optional, for hot giardiniera)
1/8 teaspoon celery seeds
1 bay leaf
1 clove garlic, cut in half
1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
For the Brine:
4 cups white wine vinegar (6%)
4 cups water
2 tablespoons kosher salt

Instructions

Place the chopped veggies a large non-reactive pot or bowl. Pour 1/4 cup kosher salt over the vegetables and enough water to cover them. Let the vegetables soak in the salt water for at least 6 hours or overnight.
To prepare the jars, place the spices into each of the jars, reserving the garlic and olive oil until after the brine is added. (I like to make some jars hot and some mild by adding/omitting the red chili flakes).
Thoroughly rinse and drain the vegetables before dividing them up between the jars. Pack the vegetables in as tightly as you can. Place the garlic each jar.
To make the brine: Bring the water, vinegar and salt to a boil. Pour the boiling brine over the vegetables leaving a little more than 1/2 inch headspace from the top. Pour the olive oil over the top. Wipe the rims with a wet paper towel and seal the jars.
If you plan on using the giardiniera within two weeks let the jars sit at room temperature for a day or two and then transfer them to the fridge. The flavor only gets better with time so wait at least 2-3 days before eating it. Will keep refrigerated for 2 weeks.
If you're canning the giardiniera for long-term storage, seal the jars with the lids and rims and prepare a boiling water bath. Boil the jars for 10 minutes. Carefully remove the jars and let them sit undisturbed for 24 hours before moving them.

If processed in the water bath, the giardiniera is best consumed within 6 months but will keep for at least a year.

**IMPORTANT NOTE: If you're canning the jars for long-term storage it is critical to be sure you thoroughly wipe the rims of the jars to ensure no oil residue is on them, otherwise they will not seal properly. Alternatively, you can omit the oil during canning and add it later to your giardiniera when you open the jar.

Farmfresh

Re: Giardiniera or Italian pickled vegetables

Unread post by Farmfresh » Sat Aug 31, 2019 2:50 am

I do two different mixes like this. I would ALWAYS add any oil later. You will have a superior product and less canning hassle that way.

My main recipe I do is what I call

Hot Pickled Veggies

I was looking and I found a picture of the finished product from WAY back in 2009 when I took stuff to the Missouri State Fair. (Only got a third place, but they were tasty still)

Basically I take a selection of the following:

Carrots (either babies or cut into fat coins)
Cauliflower florets
Celery (cut into inch long chunks for easy picking)
Okra (when I have it fresh)
Sweet Onion (cut in beefy chunks)
Sweet Bell Peppers (cut in strips)
Jalapenos (whole with the stem end cut off or in large chunks or similar heated peppers - I don't go much hotter myself)

Brine

Equal parts vinegar to water plus about a tablespoon full of pickling salt per cup of liquid. I usually heat it up and stir until the salt is well dissolved. (You can add black peppercorns and or mustard seeds as options)

Directions

Clean and prep all veggies mix up in a big bowl with the peppers separate. (I do that so I can regulate the amount of pepper chunks in each jar.) Pack hot sterilized jars full of the veggies. Add the amount of jalapeno to each jar that you desire.

Add the hot brine to the jar to within 1/2 inch of the top. You want to make sure the veggies are well packed so they all stay under the level of the brine. De-bubble the jar by prodding around with a chopstick or similar.

Wipe down the jar rim with a damp rag and put on the lid. Process in a boil water bath for about 15 minutes.

The hot pickles are ready to eat in about a week. They won't last long.

I have also made this recipe a few times. We prefer it with about half of the sugar.

SUMMER IN A JAR

Ingredients:
4 c Carrots, in 1/2 inch slices
4 c Green beans
10 c Cauliflower florets
1 c Onion rings
4 c Celery sticks (2 x 1/2 inch)
4 c Green pepper squares, 1 inch
6 c Sweet red pepper squares, 1-inch
2 c Pickling salt
12 c Water
12 c White vinegar
2 c Granulated sugar
1 tbsp Peppercorns
2 tsp Coriander seeds
1/3 c Mustard seeds
2 tbsp Turmeric
2 c Small pitted black olives

Directions:
In a large saucepan or preserving kettle, combine carrots, onions, celery, red and green peppers, beans and cauliflower. Sprinkle with salt and mix well, add water. Cover with a plate (to keep vegetables submerged) and let stand for 8 hours or overnight. Drain, rinse under cold water and drain again thoroughly. In a larger preserving kettle, combine vinegar, sugar and spices. Bring to a boil, add vegetables and olives. Return to a boil, reduce heat and simmer, covered, for 10 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Pack vegetables into hot sterilized 1 pint jars; ladle liquid over vegetables leaving 1/8 inch headspace. Seal. Process 15 minutes in boiling water bath. Serve with sandwiches, cold meats and cheeses. Use any left over syrup in cabbage salads. Makes 20 pints.
Matthew 19:26 Jesus looked at them and said, "With man this is impossible, but with God all things are possible."
"Stop Dreaming About the Good Life and Start Living IT !"
Every little bit ... is a little bit.

Return to “Water Bath Canning”