What are you canning?

Low acid foods, like most veggies, ready made recipes and meats all require pressure canning to keep them safe.
Old Fashioned

Re: What are you canning?

Unread post by Old Fashioned » Fri May 03, 2019 7:38 am

Patrice.....All you listed for possible failures....check! No pressure changes, always turn back rings with Tattlers (even metal lids too), tighten up after.....the only possible was headroom. I had cut a partially frozen top round steak into about 2" wide and 4" long and stood them up in the jars, then pushed them down to pack tighter, but may have been within a fraction of an inch of headroom limit. Probably should have been to the top of the shoulder of the jar, not to the last ring of threads. Except these jars were wide mouth and no shoulder......and yes I run a knife down the side to release any air pockets & pressed down again. No liquid added. As I said....live & learn. Next time I'll pack it differently.

As for mushrooms, I may stick with drying them, store bought canned or fresh. But I just had to try it.

As for the Tattlers...….on many of mine, there is a little 'piece'....like from the manufacturing mold, that sometimes gives me a bit of trouble getting the rings on. I do get them on, but it's like a snag. I've wondered about that since I bought mine from their site as a bulk purchase...…..no cute display boxes, just all in a big box.Does anyone else have that on new Tattlers??? |em22|

patriceinil

Unread post by patriceinil » Fri May 03, 2019 8:01 am

I bought mine from their site but they came in boxes of 12 lids and rubber seals so no issue with the little extra bit. Maybe write or call the company and say they are defective and get a replacement for them.

The only other things I can think of is any grease/fat that didn’t get wiped off the jar rim might prevent sealing as would minor chips or uneven edge in the glass at the rim.

Farmfresh

Unread post by Farmfresh » Fri May 03, 2019 8:20 am

I dry my mushrooms as well. It is just SO easy. Most people blanch them before dehydrating them, sometimes I do and sometimes I don't.
Matthew 19:26 Jesus looked at them and said, "With man this is impossible, but with God all things are possible."
"Stop Dreaming About the Good Life and Start Living IT !"
Every little bit ... is a little bit.

Old Fashioned

Unread post by Old Fashioned » Fri May 03, 2019 9:19 am

Patrice......I've had them for over a year, maybe 2 years, so I think I'm stuck with them. I'll just have to remember it's better to leave more headroom than not enough.....and for meats I'll use metal lids. That and maybe I'll use a fingernail file to see if I can smooth over those little bits.

Return to “Pressure Canning”