canning questions

Low acid foods, like most veggies, ready made recipes and meats all require pressure canning to keep them safe.
Old Fashioned

canning questions

Unread post by Old Fashioned » Fri Aug 23, 2019 1:16 pm

So the weather has been cooler and I've been cleaning out the freezer of veggies to can up. In other words, I've got a butt-load to do and with wide mouth jars I can only fit 7 pints at a time without a rack to stack them...…….I am wondering if I can fill ALL my jars ahead of time with food & water, put the lids & rings on, then process only what the canner will hold at a time?????

I've tried doing a search but couldn't find anything pertaining to that exact question and I know many canners will fill all the jars with food ahead of time......but I don't remember seeing that they've added liquid & the lids until they put them in the canner. |em22|

Farmfresh

Re: canning questions

Unread post by Farmfresh » Fri Aug 23, 2019 8:25 pm

I think you could... depending on what you were canning. The main thing is that you want the jar to be a similar temperature to the canner. For example you don't want to put a cold jar of food into an already hot canner. It would probably break the jar. So you would either have to keep the prefilled jars hot or cool the canner down every time before you put the jars in.

So... if you were canning beans for example. You could have one batch sitting in the oven or hot water, so that when the first batch came out of the canner the next batch would be ready to go in. Remember though. NO CHEATING. You HAVE TO WAIT for that pressure canner to cool completely before taking out the finished jars.

Water bathing would be a lot faster for turnover time. You could have one batch of tomatoes lifted out and a second batch go right in if the second batch was already hot waiting in the oven for example.
Matthew 19:26 Jesus looked at them and said, "With man this is impossible, but with God all things are possible."
"Stop Dreaming About the Good Life and Start Living IT !"
Every little bit ... is a little bit.

Old Fashioned

Unread post by Old Fashioned » Fri Aug 23, 2019 8:46 pm

No I don't cheat in canning. There's too much at stake to take that kind of risk. I know that's a big statement coming from me......but there it is.

Yeah well, I'm not sure I'd want to do that (keeping the food in jars hot during another load processing). It would make for some overcooked foods by the time it's all done. I didn't vary from the standard, and the end results were frustrating. Namely the Tattlers I used to can my carrots. Out of 7 pints, only 3 sealed. Next batch including reprocessing the 4 that didn't......2 of those STILL didn't seal. I also did green beans but used metal lids instead. 1 jar came out with a crack around 90% of the bottom.
Did another 2 batches of green beans (14pts) and 5 mini-jars (4oz?) of diced green chilis, 3pts leftover broth, 3 half gallons, 1 qt & 1 pt water and had 1 seal failure per canner load. I have NO idea what I did wrong to have that happen. But since using the pressure canner, or using Tattler lids, I've had more failures than I've ever had in 40 years of canning MY way.

No worries though, I'm just starting to realize my limitations and after this season is over......so is my canning adventures. |em10|

patriceinil

Unread post by patriceinil » Fri Aug 23, 2019 9:40 pm

Double check for nicks in the rims of the jars or uneven lips on the jars, both will cause seal failure. Wipe the rim well before putting the lid on, tighten finger tight only for the Tattlers.

Do you tighten the rings on the Tattlers after you pull them back out of the canner?

Old Fashioned

Unread post by Old Fashioned » Fri Aug 23, 2019 11:49 pm

Yep, yep, yep & yep again. I do all that stuff......including with the Tattlers, tighten the ring fingertip tight, then back 1/4 turn. Once their out, tighten down all the way & let em cool, jars set apart for free air flow. |em22|

patriceinil

Unread post by patriceinil » Sat Aug 24, 2019 4:29 am

Hmmmm, maybe try not backing the Tattlers off a 1/4 turn, I just go fingertip tight but don’t back off any.

Farmfresh

Unread post by Farmfresh » Sat Aug 24, 2019 9:24 am

When the bottom breaks like that it is usually a quick temperature change in some way. Either the contents or the water it is going into is too hot or too cold compared with the other one. They say a jar that is scratched on the inside... perhaps from digging contents out with a metal spoon are also more likely to crack and break.
Matthew 19:26 Jesus looked at them and said, "With man this is impossible, but with God all things are possible."
"Stop Dreaming About the Good Life and Start Living IT !"
Every little bit ... is a little bit.

patriceinil

Unread post by patriceinil » Sat Aug 24, 2019 9:39 am

Good to know FF, I always wondered why a jar would break that way.

Return to “Pressure Canning”