Are You A Beginner Pressure Canner?

Low acid foods, like most veggies, ready made recipes and meats all require pressure canning to keep them safe.
Farmfresh

Are You A Beginner Pressure Canner?

Unread post by Farmfresh » Sat Oct 26, 2019 1:57 pm

Thought we needed a thread for this topic.

Matthew 19:26 Jesus looked at them and said, "With man this is impossible, but with God all things are possible."
"Stop Dreaming About the Good Life and Start Living IT !"
Every little bit ... is a little bit.

Old Fashioned

Re: Are You A Beginner Pressure Canner?

Unread post by Old Fashioned » Thu Oct 31, 2019 2:29 am

Well this is just a couple months late.... |em15|

But I do have a question...….How often do you change the rubber gasket in the Presto canner? Just when it's no longer holding steady pressure? When it becomes 'ragged'?

With average use....say maybe using it 20 times a year....would you replace it every 2 or 3 years? 10 years? Or not till it falls out? :grin:

Farmfresh

Unread post by Farmfresh » Thu Oct 31, 2019 12:33 pm

As long as the gasket feels soft and supple it should be working fine. An old gasket is stiff and leaks steam.
Matthew 19:26 Jesus looked at them and said, "With man this is impossible, but with God all things are possible."

Old Fashioned

Unread post by Old Fashioned » Thu Oct 31, 2019 8:28 pm

Thanks, good to know.

Something I had found out by trial & error.....is that the final heat setting may be different depending on what is being processed.

I start out on high till the steam has vented for 10 minutes, then I add the weight jiggler and not until after it's reached the right pressure and the jiggler is rocking real good do I start turning it down. My stove the normal setting used is about 7, though with a higher liquid content/less density I have sometimes brought it down to 6 or 6 & 1/2-ish. But with some ham & dry beans soup (no soak method) it was 7/8 range.

To find that sweet spot, it has to keep the right poundage/pressure at a consistent level. My 23qt Presto has both the dial gauge and the weight jiggler, so when it reads 10lbs and the jiggler is rocking steadily I know that's the heat setting. If the jiggler is going crazy and the dial is pushing 11/12lbs I know to back it off just a bit and wait for the burner to level out. OR if the dial says 10lbs but the weight isn't jiggling or just barely, then I have to turn it up just a hair.

Sorry Farm, I know you and all the experienced canners know all this......but this is the part that I had trouble finding out about. Of all the books and articles I'd read and videos watched...….NONE of them were specific enough about the heat setting during processing.

patriceinil

Unread post by patriceinil » Thu Oct 31, 2019 8:35 pm

It’s trial and error OF, even highly humid days or very dry days can mean changes will be needed in the heat settings when canning. It’s just something you’ll learn over time the more experienced you get using the PC.

Farmfresh

Unread post by Farmfresh » Thu Oct 31, 2019 9:32 pm

Agreed. You just gotta watch it and adjust accordingly.

Old Fashioned

Unread post by Old Fashioned » Thu Oct 31, 2019 9:35 pm

Good to know Patrice, I didn't think of that. Thank you.

I thought of something else to help stop siphoning of the jars contents, besides leaving plenty of headroom...…

1. after the safety valve has dropped wait a few minutes before removing the weight/jiggler AND

2. wait a few more minutes before taking off the lid of the canner (always lift it away from you to avoid steam burns) AND

3. wait a few more minutes before taking out the jars.

Sometimes when I was in a rush because of doing several loads I didn't wait in between each of these steps and lost a lot of the liquid or contents to siphoning. The jars still sealed and were fine except the time I PC'd applesauce & made a huge mess in the canner , but I think it's better with a full jar

Farmfresh

Unread post by Farmfresh » Thu Oct 31, 2019 10:02 pm

That is why... for some of us... we need a second canner.

I lost count of how many jars I siphoned and even BROKE because I was too impatient. These days I try to schedule something to do that gets me OUT OF THE KITCHEN right AFTER I shut off the heat. Go to bed is my best one. Watching movie or going out to do chores also works. Once the heat is off, out of sight and out of mind lets it take it's time to cool down naturally. All that extra time hot also helps preserve the food inside of the jar - AND it stays inside the jar too!

Dirtdevil

Unread post by Dirtdevil » Fri Nov 01, 2019 7:17 am

I've been pressure canning for ten years and didn't know some of these things. I do wait much longer now before I pop the lid than I used to. I used to get a oven mitt and pull the jiggler off and vent the steam that way to speed things up. Now I just wait till the pressure gauge is all the way down. I'd like to do more than 7 quarts at a time but I have an All-American canner and it's heavy. They have another size larger but I can't imagine how heavy that one is.

Farmfresh

Unread post by Farmfresh » Fri Nov 01, 2019 5:28 pm

There is always something new to learn DD. That is why I like this forum.

Return to “Pressure Canning”