Pumpkin Chips

Less storage space and better long term storage.
Old Fashioned

Pumpkin Chips

Unread post by Old Fashioned » Fri Sep 27, 2019 12:10 am

Pumpkin is really good & good for you, though most people only use it in baking. You can eat fresh raw pumpkin but is very bland as is, which is a good thing for adding seasonings.

I had some left over from another project (canning) so I sliced it about 1/8 inch thick & spread on the trays. Then did an experiment. One tray was sprinkled with Taco seasoning, another with dry Ranch, another with garlic salt and the final tray I mixed cinnamon & honey & poured it over the pieces. The cinnamon/honey is taking much longer to dry than the others, but all are quite tasty as a snack.

I also plan to dry some strips plain, without seasoning to use in place of potato chips with a good dip. |em24|

Farmfresh

Re: Pumpkin Chips

Unread post by Farmfresh » Fri Sep 27, 2019 10:21 am

You can also dehydrate those pumpkin strips plain and then powder the results for a great vitamin packed thickener. Works well to thicken soups, sauces and other dishes.
Matthew 19:26 Jesus looked at them and said, "With man this is impossible, but with God all things are possible."
"Stop Dreaming About the Good Life and Start Living IT !"
Every little bit ... is a little bit.

patriceinil

Unread post by patriceinil » Fri Sep 27, 2019 5:09 pm

Interesting, I would never have thought to add savory seasoning to raw pumpkin and dehydrate them.

Old Fashioned

Unread post by Old Fashioned » Fri Sep 27, 2019 10:06 pm

Not to leave out those yummy seeds......these too can be seasoned with your favorite flavors. I did half of mine with seasoned salt and the other half with siracha sauce. I thought they were ok but #3 wasn't impressed. :lol:

Return to “Dehydrating and Drying”