Dandelion Soda

Delicious and nutritious ... thanks to the right bacteria.
calendula

Dandelion Soda

Unread post by calendula » Thu May 10, 2018 2:06 pm

It has become an annual tradition for the kids and I to gather dandelion flowers every spring and make soda with them. This is a very simple recipe, no special equipment required, and generally turns out well for me since it seems to be pretty forgiving. Just try not to forget about it or you could end up with sour, moldy dandelion muck instead of soda. I have found that transferring my ferments to a new container each day seems to help prevent mold.

I honestly can't quite remember the title of the book where I found this recipe, but I know it was an old herb book. I do believe I made a few tweaks to it, so it is not exactly the same as the original.

Dandelion Soda

2 Cups tightly packed dandelion flowers (gathered from a pesticide/herbicide free area)
4 Cups boiling water

2 Cups sugar
or
1 1/3 Cups honey

2 lemons, juiced (save the rinds!)

1. Rinse the dandelion flowers well to remove dirt and any little creepy-crawlies.

2. Place the dandelion flowers in a heat-proof container; pour the boiling water over the flowers. Cover the container with a lid or a large dinner plate, and allow the dandelions to steep in the boiling water over night.

3. The next day, strain out the dandelions using a mesh stainer, a piece of nylon, or cheesecloth. Pour the liquid into a non-reactive pot. Add the sugar/honey, lemon juice, and lemon rinds to the pot as well. Heat until the sugar/honey dissolves, but do not bring to a boil. Remove from heat and allow to cool to room temperature.

4. Strain out the lemon rinds, and ladle or pour the liquid into a crock, a quart jar, or other non-reactive container. I prefer glass jars because they are easier to work with and you can see when bubbles start to form. Once you have poured the liquid into your container, you will need to cover the top so no fruit flies try to taste your soda. I used a scrap of nylon secured with a rubber band to cover the top of my bottle, and cheesecloth would also work well.

5. The soda will ferment best at around 75 degrees F. However, I just let mine sit on the kitchen counter, and it did just fine. Allow the brew to sit for approximately a week, but check it daily. In the first few days, it may develop a film on the top. Do not be alarmed, this is normal. Gently stir it to break up the film on top. You can pour it into a new, clean jar each day to prevent mold. Eventually, the mixture will begin to have a pleasant scent, and you will be able to see little bubbles rising to the top. This is carbon dioxide, and is produced as a by-product of the fermentation. Once your soda has a nice smell, and is bubbly, it is ready to drink!

6. You may notice that a layer of sediment has formed on the bottom of your container. You can either try to filter this sediment out using a damp piece of nylon (I don't ever throw out my stockings if I get a run in them, they work great for filtering), or you can gently pour off the liquid, leaving the sediment in the container. Once you have taken care of the sediment, you can wash your container and return the soda to it for refrigeration, or you can serve it right away with some ice.

Farmfresh

Re: Dandelion Soda

Unread post by Farmfresh » Thu May 10, 2018 5:16 pm

Interesting! My grandpa on my step dad's side made dandelion wine. It was alcoholic. Is the soda?
Matthew 19:26 Jesus looked at them and said, "With man this is impossible, but with God all things are possible."
"Stop Dreaming About the Good Life and Start Living IT !"
Every little bit ... is a little bit.

dizzy

Unread post by dizzy » Thu May 10, 2018 7:12 pm

It does sound interesting. Maybe one day, I'll be able to try it.

patriceinil

Unread post by patriceinil » Fri May 11, 2018 12:58 am

Sounds similar to koumbacha (sp?), thanks for the recipe I’ll have to give it a try.

calendula

Unread post by calendula » Fri May 11, 2018 8:20 am

It will have a very small amount of alcohol in it since it is a by-product of fermentation. But you’d have to drink A LOT of it to even get a buzz. You’d probably puke from being too full before you’d get drunk. I feel safe enough giving it to my kids.

It is kind of like kombucha in the way it is prepared, minus the scoby. It doesn’t have such a tart taste though—it is very sweet, like soda.

patriceinil

Unread post by patriceinil » Fri May 11, 2018 8:38 am

I’ll definitely have to give it a try! I have a whole yard full of dandelion flowers out there so it shouldn’t be a problem to gather the ingredients. :wink:

Farmfresh

Unread post by Farmfresh » Fri May 11, 2018 9:45 am

BTW Patrice... I have a few more now... thanks to your seed, but the sheep eat them as soon as they bloom in the pasture.
Matthew 19:26 Jesus looked at them and said, "With man this is impossible, but with God all things are possible."

patriceinil

Unread post by patriceinil » Fri May 11, 2018 1:00 pm

Do you need more seed? I have more than enough for everyone and they are HUGE this year. Some of the flowers are between a quarter and a half dollar.

Farmfresh

Unread post by Farmfresh » Fri May 11, 2018 3:33 pm

Maybe next year. I am so busy right now I don't know if I would have a chance to sprinkle them around.

patriceinil

Unread post by patriceinil » Fri May 11, 2018 4:20 pm

Okay

Return to “Ferments”