What are you fermenting today?

Delicious and nutritious ... thanks to the right bacteria.
calendula

What are you fermenting today?

Unread post by calendula » Fri Apr 20, 2018 2:08 pm

I've been on a major fermenting kick this past week for some reason, so I just thought I'd share what I've been working on:

Kimchi: This is a Korean ferment, and is sort of like sauerkraut. I used a recipe I found in the Nourishing Traditions book, which calls for napa cabbage, daikon radishes, carrots, scallions, whey, and salt. I let it ferment in a large crock for three days, and put it in jars last night. This morning, I had a couple bites with breakfast. Salty! But tasty! I like it!

Sourdough starter: I started this on Sunday, and have been faithfully adding fresh flour and water every day. I checked it this morning, and it looks bubbly and ready. This is the best luck I've ever had with making a starter. What has usually happened in the past is that I'd forget about it for a couple days, and the next time I went to check on it, it would be all moldy. This time I've been a good girl and have checked it daily, and poured it into a fresh container each time I added flour. I will be making some sourdough bread this weekend then!

Kefir: I used to have actual kefir grains, but ended up composting them a couple years ago because I got tired of making kefir all the time. I have had some powdered kefir starter in the freezer though, so I decided to make a batch. I put it in the refrigerator yesterday because it had thickened up nicely, and will probably have some for breakfast tomorrow.

Lacto-fermented apricot butter: This was another recipe out of Nourishing traditions. Basically, you take some dried apricots and add enough water to cover, bring to a boil and simmer to soften the apricots. The original recipe says to drain the water off, but it seemed like a waste of good flavor to me, so I kept the water, and blended the apricots with it into a puree. Then, I added honey and whey, and fermented for a day. I tried some on the spelt bread I made, and it was super delicious.

So, what are you fermenting?

Farmfresh

Re: What are you fermenting today?

Unread post by Farmfresh » Fri Apr 20, 2018 5:52 pm

My hubby used to work with a Korean woman. She made the best Kimchi and other Korean dishes. She used to bring food and share it with her coworker friends. Hubby LOVED those nights.
Matthew 19:26 Jesus looked at them and said, "With man this is impossible, but with God all things are possible."
"Stop Dreaming About the Good Life and Start Living IT !"
Every little bit ... is a little bit.

Patience

purple cabbage with granny smith apple

Unread post by Patience » Sun Aug 25, 2019 2:20 pm

Lucky hubby Farmfresh! We do love kimchi too and an authentic recipe would be a treat!

I think maybe we met in another forum life Calendula, through Machinist. I'm his daughter and I believe we visited through Dad some years back? Hubby and I have been reading posts here and we want to try a number of your recipes in the ferment thread so we thought maybe sharing on this thread would be a way to say thanks in a meaningful way? Whenever you manage to find a minute to check in again, we hope you find things you might like!

We did find our starter culture, we mentioned it in the fermented garlic thread. Our last ferment failed and we don't have much for brine to start this so we're using the culture. Followed the instructions mostly. We used half the packet for our 2 pound red cabbage.

We use half an apple for a small cabbage. Just grate it in, peel and all.

Used a heaping tablespoon of kosher salt. We did not mix it in water, cabbage makes quite a lot of liquid. Just stirred it in well and left it a while. Came back later and stirred again.

Got three weights in the jar, on top of cabbage leaves, torn to lay on top to help hold the shredded cabbage down.

Cabbage juice is a pH indicator so we will be able to see when it is ready. We like it best when it hits a ruby red color. In the end we added an extra cup of water to the half cup we dissolved half the starter culter in. We LOVE to drink the brine and it should be fun to experiment making drinks with. When we get that figured out, we hope to wow friends with a ruby red drink that we turn blue with additives!

We'll share pictures when the color changes visibly.

Patience

Re: What are you fermenting today?

Unread post by Patience » Fri Aug 30, 2019 12:25 pm

I used the same light to take all the pictures of this ferment. This picture was taken last Tuesday. It is fun to have a ferment that shows the progress in color! Already it is a lot more red.

Here it is today. The color change is much less vivid between these two pictures but it is apparent to us, we've watched this ferment so many times. It passed the taste test today so I put it in the fridge.

Had to overhaul it a couple days in. The cabbage leaves were not holding the grated cabbage under the liquid. Got a little fine screen tea strainer that hubby modified, cut the two sides apart and improved the handles on them so now I have two little fine strainers for such troubles.

Strained the floaters out and went back to the baggie method. Put a new bread baggie in the jar, added some kosher salt in case it leaked. Poured water in until the liquid level was about at the bottom of the jar threads. Left the baggie folded out over the jar and put the lid back on. Kept all the grated stuff down.

I ate one of the leaves. May need to do some folded cabbage leaves in a ferment, they were an interesting texture, fun to eat! Guess they could substitute for grape leaves in a recipe in a light ferment?

Return to “Ferments”