Sourdough Starter & bread

Delicious and nutritious ... thanks to the right bacteria.
Farmfresh

Re: Sourdough Starter & bread

Unread post by Farmfresh » Sun Oct 06, 2019 7:40 pm

Mmmmmm. Sounds yummy.
Matthew 19:26 Jesus looked at them and said, "With man this is impossible, but with God all things are possible."
"Stop Dreaming About the Good Life and Start Living IT !"
Every little bit ... is a little bit.

patriceinil

Unread post by patriceinil » Sun Oct 06, 2019 10:54 pm

I hope the bread turned out good!

Old Fashioned

Unread post by Old Fashioned » Mon Oct 07, 2019 12:30 am

So this is what I seen this morning...….

then later in the afternoon I added plenty of flour & some salt, kneaded it all in well and let it rise. And rise it did, so worked it down, put in a pan & let it rise again, then baked it (though when I cut it, it wasn't quite done yet & poked it back in the oven)...….final verdict? A decent & respectable sourdough bread. Actually it was really good...but in comparing to store bought, mine wasn't as sour. My only real complaint was the crust, it was really hard/tough even after buttering it.

And I'll do one more experiment with this, so I saved out 1/2 C starter & added 2T each flour & water......trying to cut down the amounts so I have enough room in the jar to keep it going long enough to get a better 'sour'.

And to record my starting point...…

I am wondering if maybe an egg wash before baking would help to soften the crust????

patriceinil

Unread post by patriceinil » Mon Oct 07, 2019 6:14 am

Your bread looks really good! I know to get a crispy crust you need to add humidity to your oven by pouring boiling water into a preheated baking dish set on the rack below where you are baking bread.

I bet the egg wash would give you a less chewy crust but it will darken the color as well.
Last edited by patriceinil on Mon Oct 07, 2019 6:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

patriceinil

Unread post by patriceinil » Mon Oct 07, 2019 6:20 am

I googled tough crust on homemade bread and got these:

The Importance of Steam
Steam is essential for a good bread crust because it keeps the outer dough moist while the inside cooks. Without steam protecting the dough, the crust and inner crumb will cook too quickly, creating a burnt, dense bread with little flexibility.Mar 26, 2016
https://food-hacks.wonderhowto.com/how- ... e-0169757/

Toughness is usually the result of either too much gluten (which in turn comes from using a flour too high in protein), or not enough fat (or possibly adding the fat at the wrong time). Poor volume on the other hand is usually the result of using low-protein flour, and thus not having enough gluten formation ...Nov 14, 2010
https://cooking.stackexchange.com › ...

Farmfresh

Unread post by Farmfresh » Mon Oct 07, 2019 8:09 am

Sour dough is a living breathing thing. Keep playing with it. Maybe try adding a different kind of flour occasionally even. Soon you will have the perfect loaf for you.
Matthew 19:26 Jesus looked at them and said, "With man this is impossible, but with God all things are possible."
"Stop Dreaming About the Good Life and Start Living IT !"
Every little bit ... is a little bit.

Old Fashioned

Unread post by Old Fashioned » Tue Oct 08, 2019 2:26 pm

Well that crust was tough alright and we couldn't eat it for fear of breaking a tooth. And I think you're right Patrice about that steam or lack of it, that cooked the crust too soon and inhibited the center from cooking properly since I had put it back in the oven for about 15 minutes and it was still 'not done'.

But I'm not looking for a crispy, flaky kind of crust on my bread. I prefer a more chewy crust with Italian, French or sourdough type breads and by chewy I mean close to elastic & almost like chewing gum and I'm not sure how to go about that. I've seen where smearing butter or oil over the top after it's cooked is supposed to soften it and make it chewy, but in my experience it does soften it, just not very chewy. |em22|

Oh well, on to the starter progress.......with this batch that includes some starter from the previous batch, it is really getting stinky already so I'd venture to bet this will make a really SOUR bread and it's only been working for 2 days. #3 asked how much vinegar I put in it :lol:

patriceinil

Unread post by patriceinil » Tue Oct 08, 2019 3:10 pm

Try adding a bit more water to the dough or leave it a bit stickier, that may give you a chewier crust. You definitely need to add moisture to the oven so the crust doesn’t bake hard before the dough has a chance to fully expand from the heat.

The other thing that effects the crust consistency is the amount of fat in the dough recipe. It you have too little you’ll get a crispier texture vs a chewier texture with more fat added to the dough.

Wrapping the loaf in a linen towel to cool should also help get a chewier crust. Let it get 3/4 of the way cooled off then wrap the loaf in the towel to retain the moisture.

Old Fashioned

Unread post by Old Fashioned » Sun Oct 13, 2019 10:41 pm

Update...….there was a couple days I forgot to feed the starter but it never smelled like acetone this time. More of a weird funky smell. I added about a 1/2 cup each of flour & water to make up for it. This morning I did the same. Then later I added flour & salt & oil for the fat content. Unfortunately I was pressed for time & only let it raise about a half hour, punched it down & put it in a pan & let set for about 20 minutes, stuck it in the oven with a pan of water under it to bake.

The added oil & water in the oven didn't really change the end result other than it didn't brown as fast or as much. The crust was still tough, the center still not done. I'm sure my being rushed didn't help the situation, but it didn't cause it. So for now I'll chalk it up as an experience in learning and call it good for now. I will definitely try it again after I've done more research but for now the sourdough project is on the back shelf.

patriceinil

Unread post by patriceinil » Mon Oct 14, 2019 4:36 am

It may be the type of flour, or more precisely the protein content, of the flour you are using.

Return to “Ferments”