Egg Free

Making our food safe and delicious.
HybridHomesteader

Egg Free

Unread post by HybridHomesteader » Mon Oct 14, 2019 2:39 pm

I had to start a new thread for this one.

I used chia seeds as an egg replacer yesterday for the first time. Actually made GF pumpkin pies. They turned out fantastic. You could see the darker specs put I didn’t fine much of a texture difference. D2 said she could but my hubby was very happy. It’s been years since he could have pumpkin pie.

G
Last edited by HybridHomesteader on Mon Oct 14, 2019 4:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gina, Hybrid Homesteader, It'sMeG, TanksHill.... Mom, Wife, trouble maker extraordinaire.

Farmfresh

Re: Egg Free

Unread post by Farmfresh » Mon Oct 14, 2019 3:31 pm

Wow that is good to know. I have heard lots of people using chia seeds, but usually just because they are so nutritious.

How do you use them as egg replacer? What is the ratio?
Matthew 19:26 Jesus looked at them and said, "With man this is impossible, but with God all things are possible."
"Stop Dreaming About the Good Life and Start Living IT !"
Every little bit ... is a little bit.

HybridHomesteader

Unread post by HybridHomesteader » Mon Oct 14, 2019 4:16 pm

I think it was 1T+ 3T water. I just used a glass measuring cup and whisk. Let it sit for about 10 min. Turns into a goopy hell.

Are they good for you? I had no idea. I know my elderly neighbor used to make refrigerator jam with them. Just the fruit and seeds once they gelled.

G
Gina, Hybrid Homesteader, It'sMeG, TanksHill.... Mom, Wife, trouble maker extraordinaire.

Farmfresh

Unread post by Farmfresh » Mon Oct 14, 2019 4:26 pm

Supposed to be another one of those "low calorie super foods"
https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/11 ... s#section1

"A one-ounce (28 grams) serving of chia seeds contains (1):

Fiber: 11 grams.
Protein: 4 grams.
Fat: 9 grams (5 of which are omega-3s).
Calcium: 18% of the RDI.
Manganese: 30% of the RDI.
Magnesium: 30% of the RDI.
Phosphorus: 27% of the RDI.
They also contain a decent amount of zinc, vitamin B3 (niacin), potassium, vitamin B1 (thiamine) and vitamin B2.

This is particularly impressive considering that this is just a single ounce, equalling 28 grams or about two tablespoons. This small amount supplies only 137 calories and one gram of digestible carbohydrate."
Matthew 19:26 Jesus looked at them and said, "With man this is impossible, but with God all things are possible."
"Stop Dreaming About the Good Life and Start Living IT !"
Every little bit ... is a little bit.

Return to “Allergy Assistance”