The Rabbit Wringer

Neko-Chan

The Rabbit Wringer

Unread post by Neko-Chan » Tue Jan 19, 2016 6:14 am

A friend and I were watching this video, and admiring the ease and speed the rabbit wringer provides in dispatching an animal. If we watch a few more videos like this, I reckon we'd be able to do it ourselves. She wants to have rabbits one day for meat, and I want to learn how to process small animals, so this is a good way to learn.

Farmfresh

Re: The Rabbit Wringer

Unread post by Farmfresh » Tue Jan 19, 2016 1:26 pm

The rabbit wringer is a very effective tool. It has been on my list for some time now, even though we no longer raise rabbits. Evidently it will work on poultry also.
Matthew 19:26 Jesus looked at them and said, "With man this is impossible, but with God all things are possible."
"Stop Dreaming About the Good Life and Start Living IT !"
Every little bit ... is a little bit.

harvey_birdman

Unread post by harvey_birdman » Sun Jun 26, 2016 3:52 am

I wanted one until a friend showed me his way of doing it. Hold the base of the rabbits neck with one hand, and place it on your hip. Place it's hind legs (at the knee joint) in your other hand. The pull up like you are stretching your back. This breaks the neck just like the wringer, but it's free. I have dispatched many many rabbits this way. Just remember to hold the hind legs with your dominate hand.
Brain under construction please excuse my spelling.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOsoH5 ... i-ALzQ_4Eg

Farmfresh

Unread post by Farmfresh » Sun Jun 26, 2016 3:54 am

This has been my dispatch method for both rabbits and chickens for years. The problem arises with age and arthritis. These days it is sometimes VERY hard to pull with my hands. That is the very reason that I would love a wringer.
Matthew 19:26 Jesus looked at them and said, "With man this is impossible, but with God all things are possible."

harvey_birdman

Unread post by harvey_birdman » Sun Jun 26, 2016 4:02 am

There is a guy on youtube who made a wringer from a 2x6 by cutting a v in it. I will try to find that video and post it.
Brain under construction please excuse my spelling.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOsoH5 ... i-ALzQ_4Eg

Farmfresh

Unread post by Farmfresh » Sun Jun 26, 2016 10:08 am

I have a friend that is a blacksmith. I am sure something like the wringer would be an easy do for him, only he doesn't get out the forge very often these days.

Return to “Processing Small Animals”