Smoking - tips and techniques

dizzy

Re: Smoking - tips and techniques

Unread post by dizzy » Sun Aug 02, 2015 6:09 am

Hubby has 2 smokers, but I don't have a clue as to how to smoke stuff. Maybe I can ask him.

HybridHomesteader

Unread post by HybridHomesteader » Wed Aug 05, 2015 12:00 pm

Great links farm. That first one made me think there might be a use for all of those extra enamel canning pots I have. I bet I could just stack cake racks with layers of fish. And how about the time? 30 min for hot smoke? This explains why my tuna was a hard as a rock. I think I smoked it for hours...

eww...
Gina, Hybrid Homesteader, It'sMeG, TanksHill.... Mom, Wife, trouble maker extraordinaire.

Farmfresh

Unread post by Farmfresh » Wed Aug 05, 2015 1:14 pm

Fish jerky anyone?
Matthew 19:26 Jesus looked at them and said, "With man this is impossible, but with God all things are possible."
"Stop Dreaming About the Good Life and Start Living IT !"
Every little bit ... is a little bit.

harvey_birdman

Unread post by harvey_birdman » Sun Jun 26, 2016 3:46 am

I love smoking. I have an R2D2 smoker, it is my second one I wore the first one out. I like to use hickory myself, but apple is good too.

I use natural lump charcoal. The brickettes have a binding agent that produces a nasty white smoke when they are first lit. If using brickettes you should pre-light them in a charcoal chimney until they quit smoking before adding them to the smoker. With lump you can add them straight in no problem.
Brain under construction please excuse my spelling.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOsoH5 ... i-ALzQ_4Eg

Rhodie Ranch

Unread post by Rhodie Ranch » Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:15 pm

I just got my Xmas present. I've been wanting a smoker, but funds were tight. I know that the Traegers are the cream of the crop. I've seen them them at Costco, and local home improvement stores, but they are very expensive.

I found a used Traeger on CL yesterday, texted the fella, and went an saw it this a.m. Its called a Tailgater, uses hard wood pellets (not the ones for heat stoves - those have adhesive in them), and its very small. Kinda table top. But it will be fine for me and hubs and I'll really enjoy it! He bought it new in May 2017, and being a full timer RV'r, it was becoming a bit big for everytime they wanted to pack up and move on. So I got it! I'll post pics and recipes as I get into it.

calendula

Unread post by calendula » Tue Dec 12, 2017 3:38 pm

|em1| That sounds like an awesome Christmas present!

Farmfresh

Unread post by Farmfresh » Tue Dec 12, 2017 4:03 pm

Wonderful! That should provide a lot of fun and food.
Matthew 19:26 Jesus looked at them and said, "With man this is impossible, but with God all things are possible."

dizzy

Unread post by dizzy » Tue Dec 12, 2017 6:39 pm

Wonderful! Hubby has an electric smoker and adds wood chips to it. We really enjoy the meat he smokes.

Farmfresh

Unread post by Farmfresh » Tue Dec 12, 2017 7:01 pm

Plus... now you're are ready for smoking some charcuterie. Home cured bacon side anyone?

Rhodie Ranch

Unread post by Rhodie Ranch » Thu Dec 14, 2017 4:06 pm

Cooked on the Traeger last nite. I pulled some clearance salmon out the freezer and bought a full priced piece at the store. I marinated them in some inexpensive store brand Italian Dressing for an hour. Then seasoned with S&P. Cooked on the smoker for 30 min at 350, which really never got up to 350 cus its so darn cold out. (freezing fog here for days). Oh My Goodness....Super super wonderful!

Return to “Charcuterie and Smoking”