Share Your Soap Recipes

calendula

Share Your Soap Recipes

Unread post by calendula » Fri Dec 19, 2014 8:42 am

I know there are many soapers here, so I thought it'd be fun to swap recipes and ideas with each other. Post your soap recipes and pictures here if you'd like! |em21|

To start, I will share a recipe I made for my most recent batch, a holiday soap. It is an orange-cranberry bar. I dried the cranberries in my dehydrator to get them nice and crispy so they'd grind well (I used my coffee grinder).

The labels are made with homemade paper, which is a bit of work, but I just love how they look. I made "stamps" using large erasers--you just carve a mirror image of what you'd like stamped into it with a razor blade. After stamping my bands, I glued on dried buttercups.

Orange-Cranberry Soap Bars (hot process)

30 ounces lard
10 ounce coconut oil
6 ounces olive oil
17.5 ounces water
6.4 ounces sodium hydroxide (lye)
1 cup dried cranberries, ground
Peel from 1 orange, finely minced
Orange essential oil (I used about 20 drops or so)

1. Prepare your molds. I use plastic containers lined with parchment paper.
2. Melt fats in a crock pot. Meanwhile, add the lye to the water.
3. Slowly add the lye to the melted oils. Mix to bring to trace (I use a stick blender).
4. Cover the crock and keep cooking the soap. Stir occassionally, and always watch carefully so it doesn't volcano over.
5. The soap will begin to separate in the crock. Keep stirring it back down.
6. Eventually, the soap with come back together, and start to look like mashed potatoes in consistency. Now you can turn off the crock pot.
7. Divide the soap into two bowls. In one bowl, mix in the ground cranberry. In the other bowl, mix in the minced orange peel and essential oil.
8. Pour the cranberry mixture into your mold, smoothing it flat with the back of a spoon. Immediately pour the orange mixture on top of the cranberry mixture, smoothing this layer flat as well.
9. Allow the soap to harden over night. Once hard, remove the soap from its mold and cut into bars. Let the bars sit a day or two before wrapping. Hot process soap is ready to use immediately, but extra curing time to dry it out some is always good.

hoosier

Re: Share Your Soap Recipes

Unread post by hoosier » Fri Dec 19, 2014 9:36 pm

That looks nice.
I am just a wannabe soap maker.

Farmfresh

Unread post by Farmfresh » Fri Dec 19, 2014 10:41 pm

Jump right on in Hoosier. The bubbly baths are just wonderful!
Matthew 19:26 Jesus looked at them and said, "With man this is impossible, but with God all things are possible."
"Stop Dreaming About the Good Life and Start Living IT !"
Every little bit ... is a little bit.

dizzy

Unread post by dizzy » Sat Dec 20, 2014 5:06 am

Hoosier, so am I. Learning how to make soap is on my bucket list.

Swingintreefarm

Unread post by Swingintreefarm » Sat Jan 10, 2015 9:33 am

All my soaps have the same base...olive oil, coconut oil, lard, goat milk and lye.

I haven't done a lot of additives except loose tea, coffee grounds, ground oatmeal, cinnamon, cocoa powder and essential oils.

I want to use colorants but I haven't done it yet. Most natural colorants fade over time and lately I have been having a problem with my scents lasting. The last batch of peppermint I did didn't hold its scent at all after it cured. My last batch of lavender faded quite a bit as well.

Swingintreefarm

Unread post by Swingintreefarm » Sat Jan 10, 2015 9:42 am

One of my favorites is the following:

Sunflower oatmeal honey

16 oz (453.5 g) coconut oil
8 oz (226.7 g) lard
12 oz (340.1g) olive oil
8 oz (226.7g) sunflower oil
16.72 oz (474 g) goat milk frozen slush
6.22 oz (176.4 g) lye

2 oz ground oats
1 oz warmed honey

Measure all ingredients. Add lye to milk and stir. I let it get to 110 degrees and put it in an ice bath if it gets too hot.

Heat oils to 110 degrees and mix well.

Add lye mixture to oils and mix with an immersion (stick) blender until trace. Add oatmeal and warmed honey and mix well to combine.

Pour into mold of choice and insulate overnight. This will yield 2.75 lbs of soap.

It's a fairly hard bar that smells wonderful and is very easy on the skin. I grind my oats until they are almost a powder consistency.

hoosier

Unread post by hoosier » Sat Jan 10, 2015 10:26 am

If you had a cow, could you use that milk to make soap?

dizzy

Unread post by dizzy » Sat Jan 10, 2015 6:06 pm

I didn't read the milk at first, and thought you wanted the cow to make the soap!

Rhodie Ranch

Unread post by Rhodie Ranch » Sun Jan 11, 2015 10:12 am

I use milk, heavy cream, soy milk, anything liquid in making my various soaps.

Swingintreefarm

Unread post by Swingintreefarm » Sun Jan 11, 2015 3:19 pm

Absolutely, I have used a mixture of brewed teas (chamomile and green tea) with milk, milk and water, just water, or just milk. I have a ton of goat milk frozen so that's what I like to use but if I'm short and don't want to get out another bag of frozen milk I will just use water to make up the difference in the liquid. Cow milk would be fine but I would use whole milk versus skim or 1 or 2 percent.

I have seen recipes with coconut milk or almond milk as well for vegan recipes.

Return to “Look What I Made!”