Building a City Biddy

Farmfresh

Re: Building a City Biddy

Unread post by Farmfresh » Tue May 24, 2016 1:39 am

Pretty good estimate for all new, depending of course on material choice and where you live. Really the expensive part is the hardware and the hardware cloth. If you put it on wheels you add quite a bit to the costs, because those nice heavy duty wheels are pretty expensive all on their own.

Someday I would like to build a Double WIDE on one of those lawnmower trailers. The kind that had the mesh floor to begin with. I think that would be super cool for a free range coop.
Matthew 19:26 Jesus looked at them and said, "With man this is impossible, but with God all things are possible."
"Stop Dreaming About the Good Life and Start Living IT !"
Every little bit ... is a little bit.

Quail

Unread post by Quail » Tue May 24, 2016 6:35 am

Honestly, if we had built one in Ohio we could have built it cheaper. And if ALL of the old T1-11 siding on this house of ours isn't too far gone to use (most of it has been) I could probably build another using 1988 siding |em12|

We also used ALL treated lumber, so if we had bought regular 2x4's not treated, we would have saved some $ there. We chose treated because wood rots fast in Florida. We also bought the drip edge for about $15 for 2 sheets (I think). My first trip to the store for supplies we spent $168, and $30 of that was fencing supplies for our privacy fence and nothing to do with the coop. This was everything to build the city biddy except for hardware (hinges, handles) and paint.

My can of paint was $18.98 exterior paint from Lowes. I believe it's Valspar paint. I refused to spend more than $20 on a can of paint for a chicken coop. And we actually looked on the clearance paint rack BEFORE we purchased paint, but they didn't have any colors I could live with.

I would also suggest looking for coupons if you're going to Lowe's or Home Depot for the materials. Sometimes a 10% off coupon can be found. We also checked for discount lumber (didn't find any).

Also, if you find T1-11 that has some damage, but is still usable, Lowe's will sell that on a discount.
I didn't have to buy hinges for anything except for my nest box lid. We had hinges left from tearing down old coops/barns in Ohio PLUS a bunch of small hinges that I had picked up at a yard sale a couple years ago at a yard sale. We moved all that down with us.

We found that screws and nails are cheaper at Rural King when bought in their bulk area by the pound. We also bought the door hasp for the city biddy at Rural King. It was a 3 inch bent hasp lock. So we didn't have to bend anything, it came manufactured that way. And the cost on those were $5 each. We bought 2, used one.

This project made us realize that we should be buying up screws and nails of varying sizes anytime we can and just stockpile them until needed. |em23|

What I would do different:
- paint everything after each step in assembling. Touch up paint AFTER it's all built.
Redesign the door so that it's NOT flush with the edge of the coop so that it is easier to attach a locking hasp AND so it is easier to put on decorative molding. I'm working on molding it out as is, and making a "z" in the trim so it looks like a barn door. BUT the T1-11 is so thin, that most hardware screws go through it when attaching to the coop, so we had to put a scrap piece there to keep it from going through and screwing the coop shut :eek: Which we did do on accident at first!! |em12|

We didn't paint the inside. For no reason other than I just didn't want to.
We didn't put linoleum down on the floor (I would definitely check with Lowe's (or whatever hardware store you're shopping at) scrap area for this if you want to put some in your floor.)

Mine is not on wheels. I like permanent coops.

What we still want to do:
Replace the tin run cover with something different, or more tin, so that it covers from frame edge to frame edge. Right now we have some exposed lumber.
Expand the run, and the expansion part will also be covered, but tall enough for me to stand in.

Also, when building the run, we found that using trim boards and nailing into the framing over the hardware cloth was SO MUCH EASIER than trying to use fence staples. It was also faster. |em26|

Farmfresh

Unread post by Farmfresh » Tue May 24, 2016 10:19 am

One of my favorite things about this coop plan is how each one is so individual. It fits every one's needs with just a bit of simple modification.
Matthew 19:26 Jesus looked at them and said, "With man this is impossible, but with God all things are possible."

Keith44

Unread post by Keith44 » Tue May 24, 2016 10:20 am

The only times I go to Lowes are when the local (as in locally positioned, owned and operated) Hardware store doesn't have what I need. Since the nearest Lowes is 30 miles away and the family owned hardware store is about 5 miles away.

I would think you would get a better life from the coop if you painted the interior too.

The easiest way to put up hardware cloth is to build panels and use an air nailer to fasten them to the posts. That way you don't have to fight with the roll and don't have to have two or three people.

Farmfresh

Unread post by Farmfresh » Tue May 24, 2016 10:23 am

Ah ... the dream of owning a pneumatic nailer...

Then again, I have watched James (my sister's SO) shoot a nail COMPLETELY through his thumb.

:shock:

Maybe a screw gun is all I really need after all.

Keith44

Unread post by Keith44 » Tue May 24, 2016 11:51 am

LOL, rule number one, do not by-pass or remove safeties

Farmfresh

Unread post by Farmfresh » Tue May 24, 2016 12:53 pm

Actually, I don't think they were off.

He was holding some tricky rafter or something and evidently his thumb slipped between the nailer and the intended. He was a professional carpenter too. He was building his own house at the time. He climbed off the roof with the nail sticking out of his thumb, pulled it out with a pair of vise grips, cleaned it up, wrapped it with some cotton packing and duct tape and went back up on the roof. Tough guy.

Keith44

Unread post by Keith44 » Tue May 24, 2016 1:26 pm

LOL ouch, I'd be done for the day after that.

Farmfresh

Unread post by Farmfresh » Tue May 24, 2016 1:45 pm

I would be weeping in the ER. It about made ME puke to just look at it and I didn't see him pull the nail out. I usually have a stomach of steel, but that looked like something out of a horror movie.

Quail

Unread post by Quail » Tue May 24, 2016 2:05 pm

Keith44 wrote:The only times I go to Lowes are when the local (as in locally positioned, owned and operated) Hardware store doesn't have what I need. Since the nearest Lowes is 30 miles away and the family owned hardware store is about 5 miles away.

I would think you would get a better life from the coop if you painted the interior too.

The easiest way to put up hardware cloth is to build panels and use an air nailer to fasten them to the posts. That way you don't have to fight with the roll and don't have to have two or three people.
Our closest Lowe's is 11 miles. We have a local hardware that carries some of the things we use around here, but usually they don't have everything. I bought my hardware cloth from the local hardware. I think the drip edge, too. I don't remember. We usually check the local hardware first before trucking to Lowes.

I didn't paint the interior of the coop, because I didn't want to risk chickens pecking at it and eating paint chips.

Return to “Look What I Made!”