Caring for Cast Iron

What is in your tool box that you can't live without?
Farmfresh

Re: Caring for Cast Iron

Unread post by Farmfresh » Thu Feb 15, 2018 6:34 pm

Matthew 19:26 Jesus looked at them and said, "With man this is impossible, but with God all things are possible."
"Stop Dreaming About the Good Life and Start Living IT !"
Every little bit ... is a little bit.

Old Fashioned

Unread post by Old Fashioned » Sun Apr 08, 2018 11:34 pm

I'm not sure, but I think using a metal scratcher to clean it actually took off some of the pre-seasoning from the factory. Looking at the inside of the skillet under the right light, I can see a difference in the color & surface. My bad, very very bad. So now I'm working on re-seasoning it and to use a more mild scrubber. :shock:

Also, a couple of months ago I found one of the large dutchovens with legs at Walmart on clearance for $30. Well, of course I bought one, and have kicked my own butt for not buying the other there as well.

Farmfresh

Unread post by Farmfresh » Mon Apr 09, 2018 8:58 am

Never fear. This cowboy guy that I post a LOT of his videos usually takes a GRINDER to new cast iron to get them really smooth and then re-seasons. Basically you constantly re-season cast iron constantly. There is nothing you can do to it - bar cracking it with a hammer - to really ruin the stuff.
Matthew 19:26 Jesus looked at them and said, "With man this is impossible, but with God all things are possible."

Old Fashioned

Unread post by Old Fashioned » Mon Apr 09, 2018 8:16 pm

That's what I thought too of them being nearly indestructible. But I'm learnng as I go and know it is a continual process.

Rhodie Ranch

Unread post by Rhodie Ranch » Tue Apr 10, 2018 10:10 am

I have several pieces of cast iron. I've never used it so I'll be selling it at a garage sale.

Farmfresh

Unread post by Farmfresh » Tue Apr 10, 2018 11:41 am

NOOOOO. You are missing the best cookware ever murphy! Why have you never used it?

Old Fashioned

Unread post by Old Fashioned » Fri Apr 20, 2018 10:40 am

A friend of hubs/ours had said one day that he has a bunch of old cast iron stored away somewhere and would bring it to me when he found it again. Well the other day he brought me a skillet....dirty with cobwebs & plenty of rust. He said to scrub it out really good, then put in some butter & onions & fry till crisp, then clean it out again and maybe do that a few times if needed to get the rust out. I was skeptical, but I did it as he said and IT WORKED!
I only did the onions 1 time and it looked pretty good on the inside, so I dried it then put it in a hot oven smeared with a dab of oil for about an hour. Since it looked so good I cooked some hamburger patties in it, and some fried taters in my Lodge for supper last night. Hubs even raved about the burger patties. Yep, they were gooooooood |em24| No rusty or onion or off taste whatsoever. McDonalds eat your heart out!
Now I can't wait till he brings me more! |em1|

Farmfresh

Unread post by Farmfresh » Fri Apr 20, 2018 1:13 pm

I LOVE cast iron!

calendula

Unread post by calendula » Fri Apr 20, 2018 2:10 pm

That's awesome OF! I love my cast iron too. I've had a lot of my pans for over a decade, and they still look just the same as when I first bought them.

Return to “My Tool Box”