Me and My Hoard...Getting Out From Under the Pile

Where do you live? How do you manage your homestead?
Quail

Re: Me and My Hoard...Getting Out From Under the Pile

Unread post by Quail » Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:11 pm

I do not consider food storing as hoarding. That is called being prepared. Nothing wrong with having food kept in surplus. It will eventually be eaten.

I had a bunch of sewing stuff, too, but I gave most of my fabrics and fiberfill and quilt batting to my friend a couple months ago. I kept my cross stitch kits (some I have had since K was a baby and she is now almost 19). I pull them out and work on some of them randomly. I have completed 3 kits in 20 years lol. I kept most of my paper crafting supplies, too, but that I use the most.

I have become better at purging clothes and kitchen items that I no longer use.

patriceinil

Unread post by patriceinil » Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:40 pm

You are correct Quail, it’s NOT food hoarding it’s being prepared for emergencies with a well stocked pantry! Having a well stocked pantry has saved me many times over the years.

Rhodie Ranch

Unread post by Rhodie Ranch » Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:38 pm

Oh, I feel so much better now. Esp since I opened a box of Stuffing Mix (cornbread) and it was best used by 2010. It wasn't rancid and was going into a casserole. Yes, I save food for lean times too.

dizzy

Unread post by dizzy » Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:44 pm

I also have cross stitch projects that I started years ago. And I have boxes that are still unopened from when we moved here-over 30 years ago.

Today, I started working on my basement. We have a closet down there that I started to clean out a couple of weeks ago. I got it done today. I found 2 old pair of barn boots. Why I still had them, I don't know. The laces were good, so I took those out and tossed the boots. I also found a pair of water shoes I bought a few years ago. I liked them, so I had bought 2 pairs. Then when I needed a new pair, I couldn't find them. Next week, I'm going to start in my laundry room. I'm being ruthless in my cleaning. I'm tossing a bunch of junk instead of trying to sell it. There is very little that I'm saving or trying to sell.

HybridHomesteader

Unread post by HybridHomesteader » Wed Oct 09, 2019 1:39 pm

Farmfresh wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2018 3:42 am
I don't think I have ever bought something at a thrift store around here at least that was not washed. They even smell like soap sometimes. Maybe that is a state regulation or something??
This is probably site specific. Missouri kindness I’m sure.

|em26|
Gina, Hybrid Homesteader, It'sMeG, TanksHill.... Mom, Wife, trouble maker extraordinaire.

Farmfresh

Unread post by Farmfresh » Wed Oct 09, 2019 1:53 pm

Once again it has happened for certain. Hubby came home from the thrift store with two long sleeved dress shirts, a pair of camo pants (army issue) and a pair of blue jeans. All the items, except for the camo pants smelled strongly of Tide detergent. The camo pants appear to be new and have the new canvas smell about them.

If this is Missouri kindness, then I will sure take it. We also bought a really nice blue cloth covered electric Lazy Boy recliner last week. It was $35.00.
Matthew 19:26 Jesus looked at them and said, "With man this is impossible, but with God all things are possible."
"Stop Dreaming About the Good Life and Start Living IT !"
Every little bit ... is a little bit.

patriceinil

Unread post by patriceinil » Wed Oct 09, 2019 9:11 pm

Almost all of the thrift stores here wash all clothing and bedding items before resale. That was a great price on the recliner FF!

Return to “The Place I Call Home”