So... What IS So Good About Missouri?

Where do you live? How do you manage your homestead?
Farmfresh

So... What IS So Good About Missouri?

Unread post by Farmfresh » Wed Mar 07, 2018 9:17 am

I found this collaboration on YouTube today. Here are a couple of the videos to share.

Matthew 19:26 Jesus looked at them and said, "With man this is impossible, but with God all things are possible."
"Stop Dreaming About the Good Life and Start Living IT !"
Every little bit ... is a little bit.

Farmfresh

Re: So... What IS So Good About Missouri?

Unread post by Farmfresh » Mon Oct 28, 2019 9:54 am

I was on another forum this morning and the subject of Missouri weather was brought up. It got me thinking about this place that my family has called "home" for about seven generations now... if you count Kitten and Kid.

What is it about Missouri weather?

The old timers say,"If you don't like the weather stick around for a few hours."

We are in the West Central Region of the state as well. Prairie wraps us on the north and the vast Kansas prairies are on our west. That means we get the straight line prairie winds from both directions and when the Arctic air plunges down into the lower 48 in the winter we get the full force of that as well.

To our immediate north and east is the mighty Missouri River and to our extreme east are rolling hills, hardwood covered farmlands and the muddy Mississippi. Then, situated as we are, we also catch all of the humidity and moisture that comes straight up south through the Gulf of Mexico through Texas. We are never at a want for moisture. It is hot and HUMID in the summer months and cold and damp in the winter. We get to enjoy extremes from both directions as well as being smack in the middle of Tornado Alley.

Our weather can be extreme... both directions. My son figured it up one year and we had a 129 degree temperature variance in the same calendar year!

I looked it up for you:

We have reached 106 degrees 3 times in the last 15 years with at least one day around 104 almost every season. That is ACTUAL temperature ... then for the sake of good old Missouri... you add a humidity of around at least 75 to (usually)85%. Hottest ever recorded here was in 1936 at 113 degrees F. Yup it gets hot!

As for cold... We typically see at LEAST one night when the ACTUAL temperature drops out at between -9 F and -12 F every winter. We got down to -23 in 1989 and even that was not the record for our state. Those cold nights ALWAYS go hand and hand with WETNESS and WIND. Long strong prairie wind. Both of these "additives" means that the Wind Chill temperatures are way down there. Cold. REALLY FREAKING COLD.

That all said... I have three seasons here... usually... but Spring and Fall seldom linger. It snows in the winter and we get lots of ice, but we also often have nice mild winter days with no snow cover at all. We have around 40 wonderful inches of rain every year and about 18 inches of beautiful black nearly rock free topsoil up on the top of this ridge. Missouri has plenty of weather issues, but I love living here.

For us it is sure enough home.

Matthew 19:26 Jesus looked at them and said, "With man this is impossible, but with God all things are possible."

patriceinil

Unread post by patriceinil » Tue Oct 29, 2019 12:34 am

Illinois jokes about the weather and experiencing all 4 seasons in one day. For the most part we can definitely get 3 of the 4 seasons in a single day. It’s hot and humid during the Summer and down right nasty during the Winter.

Farmfresh

Unread post by Farmfresh » Tue Oct 29, 2019 8:40 am

Yup. It does that here too.

I can remember riding horses during Christmas break barefoot and in shorts and sweating and then a few days later we were snowed in.

Dirtdevil

Unread post by Dirtdevil » Tue Oct 29, 2019 10:30 am

Most people are most comfortable near where they were raised I think. Must be some kind of imprinting.

Farmfresh

Unread post by Farmfresh » Tue Oct 29, 2019 5:14 pm

Want to know what is even weirder? I have always been drawn to the Flint Hills of Kansas. Beautiful... just speaks to my soul. The header on this forum is a picture I took on one of those trips.

We were doing stuff on our genealogy a while back. It turns out that my hubby's Scottish ancestral castle is only 40 miles from MY family's ancestral castle. The towns of Newcastleton and Langholm are basically located on the road between. On a whim one time I got on Google maps and took the street view drive. Guess what? It looks just like the Flint Hills!

So what is that? Some sort of ancestral imprinting? Celtic music does the same thing in me. Go Figure.

patriceinil

Unread post by patriceinil » Tue Oct 29, 2019 5:51 pm

Interesting!

Farmfresh

Unread post by Farmfresh » Wed Oct 30, 2019 8:50 am

It weirded me out a bit, I tell you.

patriceinil

Unread post by patriceinil » Wed Oct 30, 2019 9:01 am

I’m going to try Google street view for the area of Poland my grandparents are from.

Return to “The Place I Call Home”