Rain Water Catchment

This is the place to share all of your DIY fun.
Neko-Chan

Rain Water Catchment

Unread post by Neko-Chan » Mon Nov 17, 2014 6:09 pm

So, back in 2011, we bought a 400L water tank (for 40 bucks! Incredible bargain, and only because it had some minor damage). FIL cleared out the back corner of the carport next to our fence, and we placed the tank there. He fixed the crack in the upper edge with silicone sealant and two plates with bolts running through both sides, installed a pipe with a tap on the end, and found a short length of hose I could use to fill my water carriers. Then he filled it to the 400L mark from the water in his 3500L tank, and I've been using it ever since. :D

Our future plan is to set it up with an automatic drain spout diverter to run rainwater from the carport roof into the tank on rainy days. I'd liek to be able to find one of those square 1000L tanks in the metal cages, so I can place them side by side behind the carport, or even get a second smaller one at the bottom of our "backyard", and feed it from the shed and house on rainy days.

It's important to have water available. You never know what might happen to cut it off.

Our yard is just on the other side of that fence:

This is what 400 liters of water look like:

My hose and tap:

Farmfresh

Re: Rain Water Catchment

Unread post by Farmfresh » Mon Nov 17, 2014 7:08 pm

That is awesome! I would love to have a set up like that.

We are talking about putting some gutters on the barn that we have and at least diverting the water into some large stock tanks as a holding area. WHEN something like that will get done is another matter.
Matthew 19:26 Jesus looked at them and said, "With man this is impossible, but with God all things are possible."
"Stop Dreaming About the Good Life and Start Living IT !"
Every little bit ... is a little bit.

BarrySus

Rain Water Catchment

Unread post by BarrySus » Fri Jul 05, 2019 1:09 am

I was trying to find/build a small water pump and heating unit preferably adjustable heat to use with a tub.

Would be nice if it was submersible.

My searching the internet has come up short.

Does anyone know if something like this exists or where to find parts?

patriceinil

Re: Rain Water Catchment

Unread post by patriceinil » Fri Jul 05, 2019 12:52 pm

How much water are you wanting to heat? Maybe a stock tank heater would work if it isn’t a lot of water you want to heat.

Return to “Home Improvement”