PV.

Dirtdevil

PV.

Unread post by Dirtdevil » Sat Oct 05, 2019 9:15 am

I want to talk about this. I am mostly opposed to putting any money into PV for several reasons but I'd like to know what those that are actually using them think. My main objections are:

1. That they have aluminum frames and probably connections and that they will quickly deteriorate in prolonged bouts of acid rain. I see that they are making panels now with composite frames so that would help mitigate the corrosion from the rains. In an atmosphere heavily laden with volcanic debris water that evaporates will be held at much lower elevations and will condense and fall much more than what most of us are used to now.

2. Absence of light. I'd like to know from those who have them what range of light they work under. Again with the atmospheric debris which will take years to break down there will be a greatly reduced amount of sunlight. I live just off the east coast of Lake Michigan. Starting in November our cloud cover will get so dense that we can go for weeks without seeing any sun. When storms come in which can last for days, the outside during the day looks like dusk. That and it is only light from about 8:30 am until about 5:30 pm for months here. I am going to get a light meter and see just how much light we have on a normal basis but it would certainly not be a lot. I understand that in other places things are less dreary. One of my daughters lives in Colorado and get an average of 300 sunny days a year. That will change. We will all end up in about the same boat. Again I realize that they are developing new panels that produce much higher amounts of energy in lower light but most are not on the market at this time and time is the problem.

So whats your thoughts, based on my concerns, those of you that have them?

Biggkidd

Re: PV.

Unread post by Biggkidd » Fri Oct 11, 2019 4:30 pm

DD I've seen my panels make small amounts of power on some dark days. If I had to guess I'd say 15-20% of the rated power. Even a little power is better than none.

Return to “Solar Power”