Wood gas generators and their uses (modern and historic)

Keith44

Wood gas generators and their uses (modern and historic)

Unread post by Keith44 » Tue May 17, 2016 7:03 pm

I've been thinking off and on for a few years now about trying to build one of these to run an electric generator. It seems to me that if the grid failed gasoline would be in very short supply. This old technology of extracting a fuel from wood that can run an internal combustion engine seems like something everyone should at least be aware of. Imagine having working lights, water pumps, refrigerator, freezer, heck even a microwave while the grid is down. I plan to continue to investigate this, and would like to think I will build a working prototype soon.

http://soilandhealth.org/wp-content/upl ... oodgas.pdf

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wood_gas_generator

Farmfresh

Re: Wood gas generators and their uses (modern and historic)

Unread post by Farmfresh » Tue May 17, 2016 7:06 pm

Why not just go with a straight steam engine? I think those could be directly wood fired.
Matthew 19:26 Jesus looked at them and said, "With man this is impossible, but with God all things are possible."
"Stop Dreaming About the Good Life and Start Living IT !"
Every little bit ... is a little bit.

Keith44

Unread post by Keith44 » Tue May 17, 2016 7:40 pm

this could also power a steam engine by capturing the heat with a water coil. The woodgas generator can power existing engines so no extra costs, and it uses less wood to produce the same BTU potential of fuel.

Farmfresh

Unread post by Farmfresh » Tue May 17, 2016 7:45 pm

Keith44 wrote: and it uses less wood to produce the same BTU potential of fuel.
OK. That might be a good reason all by itself.
Matthew 19:26 Jesus looked at them and said, "With man this is impossible, but with God all things are possible."

Dirtdevil

Unread post by Dirtdevil » Fri May 10, 2019 10:27 am

Doesn't look like this thread generated much interest. That's too bad because it is one of the things that will be fundamental in the near future. The ability to produce some sort of fuel to generate power may well be the pivot point of survival. I have some experience with wood gas. If I get it together to be able to post pictures on this site I will post one of my large gasifier. I built it four or five years ago using a plan modified from Wayne Keith's system.

http://www.driveonwood.com/store/
The manual they sell on this site is well worth the money even if you are not planning to build something like it right away. Get what you can now. These sites will not always be around. The gasifier I built is large enough to run a full sized truck with no problem. I have only run a generator on it. In truth however I would go a different way now. The biggest issue with running an internal combustion engine on wood gas is cleaning the volatile's out of the gas. The worst of these is the tars produced. These volatile's are already burned out in the production of charcoal. Producing charcoal is a simple matter. I have a lot on my plate right now but before this summer is over I'll be building a charcoal gasifier. This is a much simpler build than the one I previously built and can be built without any required welding. Anyone that can run a drill and a few basic hand tools can build one. Here is one example.

If there is any interest in this I will be glad to get into it further.

Farmfresh

Unread post by Farmfresh » Fri May 10, 2019 12:37 pm

I am interested. Please share what you know!

We are an open book for knowledge here. A big reason why this thread went no further was that Keith stopped posting here. I think he went along with many others over to a Facebook group. We miss him. None of the rest of us have this skill set in our wheel house, so you will have an apt group of students.

Carry on Professor.

Return to “Wood Power”