Rocket Stoves and all things pertaining there to!

Dirtdevil

Re: Rocket Stoves and all things pertaining there to!

Unread post by Dirtdevil » Fri May 10, 2019 8:17 am

Well, I need to get started building this heater. It is going in a greenhouse with a large aquaponic fishtank. The thing that concerns me is that the ducting for the heat sink will have to be directly below the 500 gallon tank and I'm thinking that the tank and water will suck so much heat out of the ducting as it leaves the heater that it will effect the draw on the combustion gasses. Not only does the ducting run under the tank when it leaves the heater but it also comes back under the tank before it is vented outside. What are your thoughts on this. I would like to use the heat beneath the tank to help warm the water but could also install rigid foam over the top of the ducting before I poured the bottom of the fish tank on top of it. If all else fails I would consider installing a fan in the exhaust stack. Have you seen anything on line that addressed these concerns?

Farmfresh

Unread post by Farmfresh » Fri May 10, 2019 9:12 am

OOOOOh.... Aquaponics too?! We need another thread. I have always wanted to do something in that area.
Matthew 19:26 Jesus looked at them and said, "With man this is impossible, but with God all things are possible."
"Stop Dreaming About the Good Life and Start Living IT !"
Every little bit ... is a little bit.

Dirtdevil

Unread post by Dirtdevil » Fri Jun 28, 2019 7:40 am

Well I have started building the Rocket mass Heater for my greenhouse. I have to wait for a little cash to get more components to continue. I signed up for a forum that deals with such things. http://donkey32.proboards.com/ You can read the posts without signing up but can't ask questions.
This information would probably only matter to ICU but the consensus of the builders there is that the best way to build a heat riser is by lining a piece of metal duct or some metal tube with ceramic fiber blanket. Quick, easy and cost effective.
https://www.ebay.com/bhp/ceramic-fiber-insulation

It also seems that the preference for new heaters is a batch box design

http://www.batchrocket.eu/en/

Icu4dzs

Unread post by Icu4dzs » Mon Jul 01, 2019 4:15 pm

I agree. The research that has been done clearly identifies these changes as beneficial. In days gone by, everyone (especially Satamax) always said, "Metal is doomed" but then after discovering the ceramic blanket, that appears to have changed. As for the batch style, I have the materials but have not built one for several reasons the most important of which is location, location, location.
That is a really good forum for the subject. You will find several very good folks there eg. Peter Berg, Matt Walker for starters. If you study their methods you will be very satisfied.

Of note is the "P" channel devised by (of course) Peter Berg. It seems to improve the burn at the combustion chamber.

Keep working on it. I think you will be very happy with the results.
Cheers,
Trim sends
You're believing it is not required for it to be true. TMM
Saepe Expertus, Semper Fidelis, Fratres Aeterni
Trim sends
//BT//

Dirtdevil

Unread post by Dirtdevil » Tue Sep 03, 2019 8:03 am

It was my understanding that that two inch gap between the top of the bell and the top of the heat riser was crucial as well but I posed the question on the Donkey site. One of the experts there said that it was all right to increase that gap to lessen the effect of the heat on that particular spot in the bell. I'm probably going to maintain that 2 inch gap but I'm going to cut down another barrel lid and bolt it underneath the top of the barrel as a sacrificial lid.

http://donkey32.proboards.com/thread/35 ... -drum-bell

Icu4dzs

Unread post by Icu4dzs » Tue Sep 03, 2019 3:59 pm

Why not just add a layer of ceramic fiber cloth to the top of the bell on the inside to mitigate the extreme heat coming up the heat riser? That would be much easier than adding another barrel and it would prevent having to rebuild it after any length of time? I noticed that Peter Berg said to increase the space from 2" to more than that.
I imagine that the ceramic fiber cloth and a bit more space will both take care of the problem but the ceramic fiber has to be INSIDE the top, not out on top of the bell...
Just my $0.02
Trim sends
//BT//

Dirtdevil

Unread post by Dirtdevil » Tue Sep 03, 2019 5:07 pm

Well I posted the question expecting folks who had been using them for a number of years to respond with their experience. Except for the guy with the stainless steel bell no one did. The idea about the ceramic fiber sounds right. I'm going to buy a roll to make the heat riser out of anyway.

Icu4dzs

Unread post by Icu4dzs » Tue Sep 03, 2019 6:53 pm

Yep, that’s how I’d approach it. I should have put that suggestion on that forum.
Trim sends
//BT//

Return to “Wood Power”