Swedish Torch Log

Old Fashioned

Swedish Torch Log

Unread post by Old Fashioned » Tue Sep 10, 2019 1:08 am

I could have sworn I had posted this before, but must be lost in another thread somewhere.

I think this is a cool idea when wood is limited and you need heat & ability to cook. If you have one log, cut it down about 2/3's of the way thru, leaving the bottom 1/3 intact. Make atleast 2 cuts. Stuff some paper &/or tinder into the cuts, then light it. Depending on the size of the log, species of wood and number of cuts made, the fire can last several hours. You can also set a pan on the top for cooking. They even sell an attachment that holds the wood at the top together and set a pan on.

https://i.pinimg.com/736x/95/8b/1c/958b ... ac89ac.jpg

This is the grill piece...the nails or screws you see around the outside are long that go down the side of the log to hold it together.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/223413089908

and another great idea, if you don't have a good sized log to burn....tie several smaller branches or pieces together to simulate the same idea, though it would probably burn faster than a single log.

https://i.pinimg.com/736x/fc/63/46/fc63 ... c62361.jpg

Farmfresh

Re: Swedish Torch Log

Unread post by Farmfresh » Tue Sep 10, 2019 8:31 am

Cool idea. I really like the little grate they sell for the purpose.

I have been wanting a cooking spot out there in the back yard for a while now. Typically I have been thinking about a rocket stove or something like a adobe pizza oven. Recently I have been thinking more and more about a sand pit. With a simple sand pit and rocks surrounding such a thing you could use something like that Torch Log. You could also use a campfire with a cast iron spider or a spit or several other modes of cooking.
Matthew 19:26 Jesus looked at them and said, "With man this is impossible, but with God all things are possible."
"Stop Dreaming About the Good Life and Start Living IT !"
Every little bit ... is a little bit.

patriceinil

Unread post by patriceinil » Tue Sep 10, 2019 10:32 pm

That was posted somewhere before, I remember seeing it. Thanks for sharing it again though OF.

Old Fashioned

Unread post by Old Fashioned » Tue Sep 10, 2019 11:00 pm

Farmfresh wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 8:31 am
Cool idea. I really like the little grate they sell for the purpose.

I have been wanting a cooking spot out there in the back yard for a while now. Typically I have been thinking about a rocket stove or something like a adobe pizza oven. Recently I have been thinking more and more about a sand pit. With a simple sand pit and rocks surrounding such a thing you could use something like that Torch Log. You could also use a campfire with a cast iron spider or a spit or several other modes of cooking.

We have an old campground firepit grate thingy.....just a heavy piece of iron or steel(?) at 45* angle with a hinged grate, but I also have a couple of extra oven racks and a teepee camp grill

Actually, does anyone know why they quit building those brick BBQ's & ovens in backyards???? I'd love to have one

patriceinil

Unread post by patriceinil » Wed Sep 11, 2019 1:24 am

Because the grill manufacturers can’t make money off people with the brick ones. :wink:

Return to “Wood Power”