Dancing Under the Red Star

calendula

Dancing Under the Red Star

Unread post by calendula » Thu Mar 22, 2018 2:41 pm

I just finished a book called Dancing Under the Red Star, by Karl Tobien. The book is the true story of an American girl who moved to Russia with her parents in the late 1920s, during Stalin's reign of terror. The girl's father was an employee of the Ford motor company, who sent over 450 of its employees (and their families) to manufacture cars in Russia. The book details the unjust arrest of the father, and then later on, the arrest of the girl (who had grown into a woman at that point), and her life in the Russian hard labor camps (Gulag).

The story is written by the woman's son, but presented in the first person, as though she is the one telling the story. Despite the fact that the author probably doesn't have the best writing ability that I've ever read, the story itself is a good one. It is horrifying to read of the things the people in Russia had to live through under a communist rule--starvation, filth, being worked to exhaustion, and always living in fear. I also had no idea that Ford sent Americans over there during that time, and basically seemed to turn their backs on them when things got bad. The book is a good reminder I think, especially since there are many people in our own country today who seem to think a communist government would be just great.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/400 ... e_Red_Star

patriceinil

Re: Dancing Under the Red Star

Unread post by patriceinil » Thu Mar 22, 2018 5:30 pm

Sounds very interesting, I’ll have to see if I can get a copy to read it.

Return to “Books and the Written Word”