Reading books for solace

Rhodie Ranch

Reading books for solace

Unread post by Rhodie Ranch » Tue Jun 25, 2019 10:24 am

For almost 6 months now, I've been sitting down with a book when the depressing hours of night start at fiveish. I've been plowing thru so many hardbacks and paper backs, but two of them I had to set aside.

Did you ever start a book and really really give it a good try? Just yesterday, I chose a paperback, put on my 2.5 x reading glasses, turned on my ott light and started. And hour later, I gave up. A few months ago, I read a book that was a NY times bestseller. I tried for two days, and finally set it aside.

Did you ever read a book or a series and then mourn that there were no more of the series? I started a series (which I didn't know was a series but luckily read the prolog). Debbie Macomber, Dakota Born, Dakota Home and Always Dakota. I loved them. Easy read, romance, interesting, and was the type of story that I kept thinking about every day, waiting for fiveish to come along. I was so so sad to see that there were no more of the series. I'm going to miss that story...

At my last home, I donated $10 to the neighborhood for a charity group to build us something similar to A Little Free Library spot. I would drop off my read books and rummage thru to see if there was something in there I'd like to read. The last time I was there, I snagged The Pioneer Woman cookbook. I've given away alot of my cookbooks, but this one was new and fun.

All of my books are from garage sales or thrift stores or freebies.

Farmfresh

Re: Reading books for solace

Unread post by Farmfresh » Tue Jun 25, 2019 10:33 am

Do you know who my favorite writer is for this kind of "take me away Calgon" reading? Good old Zane Grey!

I know that a Zane Grey novel is a fairly predictable thing, buy Zane actually LIVED the west when it was really truly wild. He can describe a place and set a mood till you are literally transported. Also ... He has a ton of books, so you won't run out for a long time. Since he is considered a classic you will find most of his books there ... for free... at the library.

Try Horse Heaven Hill, Lost Pueblo or Rogue River Feud. Or take a trip down under... The Great Trek, also called The Wilderness Trek. Just give him a try.
Matthew 19:26 Jesus looked at them and said, "With man this is impossible, but with God all things are possible."
"Stop Dreaming About the Good Life and Start Living IT !"
Every little bit ... is a little bit.

Rhodie Ranch

Unread post by Rhodie Ranch » Tue Jun 25, 2019 10:37 am

I've never read one! I'll do that! I do love western tv shows...

Farmfresh

Unread post by Farmfresh » Tue Jun 25, 2019 10:43 am

Just don't pick Riders of the Purple Sage (his most famous and I think one of his worst) for a first time. Look on Wikipedia they list all of his titles. And they are not all Westerns, for example Rogue River Feud is about a man who is a commercial fisherman.
Matthew 19:26 Jesus looked at them and said, "With man this is impossible, but with God all things are possible."
"Stop Dreaming About the Good Life and Start Living IT !"
Every little bit ... is a little bit.

Return to “Books and the Written Word”