Permaculture - Food Forests

Icu4dzs

Re: Permaculture - Food Forests

Unread post by Icu4dzs » Sat Jul 27, 2019 11:43 am

Great List... Wrong thread. I want to be able to find this later.

I am going to move this to The Prepper lists section. Emergency Checklist: Stuff To Consider thread.

See you there... |em20|

Here is some information for the things that can be easily obtained in large quantities...right now. Maybe not so much later.
Grains
Barley
Popcorn
White Corn
Yellow Corn
Millet
Oat Groats
Quinoa
Brown Rice Rye
Spelt
Durum/Semolina Wheat
Hard Red Wheat
Hard White Wheat
Soft Wheat

Recipes

(Go to the other thread for the full story) Thanks!
You're believing it is not required for it to be true. TMM
Saepe Expertus, Semper Fidelis, Fratres Aeterni
Trim sends
//BT//

Farmfresh

Unread post by Farmfresh » Sat Jul 27, 2019 12:27 pm

Double Post
Matthew 19:26 Jesus looked at them and said, "With man this is impossible, but with God all things are possible."
"Stop Dreaming About the Good Life and Start Living IT !"
Every little bit ... is a little bit.

Old Fashioned

Unread post by Old Fashioned » Sat Sep 28, 2019 11:38 pm

That ivy corner, where the apple tree used to be before it uprooted & toppled over?

I got to looking closer after cutting the ivy back and found the soil level was just below the edge of the concrete wall. I could see the spill out along the bottom from when the concrete had been originally poured......long before we moved here 21 years ago. It didn't use to be that way and was eroding further down the slope of the yard. In fact, much of the backyard is not level but has many low spots even though it slopes down to the house. So I've been busy working to fix it.

In the pic, there is a stack of wood rounds from the apple tree along the back fence, plus some lumber, pallets & metal sheets scattered about. The stack of wood in the front is from the walnut tree from SIL, #2 had cut back last winter...…..and of course I get photobombed by the dog.

Before...….

And after...…..it still looks like a mess, but this is a work in progress. The apple wood is stacked & stored behind the rest of the usable firewood since it won't be dry enough to burn yet. The walnut has been split & stacked and even though it may not be as dry as it should be, I figure by the time we really need it, it should be dry enough. Cut rounds dry faster than whole logs.
Anyway, along the fence are small branches covered with dirt to create a berm that starts about 6 inches or less from the fence. The corner and along the concrete wall is cardboard over the same as I'm working on building it up. This side of the berm is a shallow swale that I was going to make into 2 ponds with one at each end & shallow in the center that would drain down into the larger pond below...….but had to scrap the pond idea because I won't put in a liner and any water would drain out leaving a muddy mess and danger trap. So I filled it all back in but still lower than around it to make a 'rain garden'.....which is the same permaculture idea but the lower areas (swales) are planted with moisture lovers. The berms (along the fence, around the bottom of the big pond and a narrow/shallow across the middle) are planted with other stuff...eventually. And if everything is heavily mulched, it should keep everything content during hot dry summers.

More info on rain gardens.....

Then there's the other corner that includes the upper part of the vegetable garden that DID have the raised beds & is/was/is supposed to be perennials.

I finally got the beds dug & pulled out, moved the canoe to within a couple of feet of the angled fence and planted it with the herbs I'd had in the pots. All the raspberry canes I dug out of the canoe ended up dying off since I didn't get them replanted in time.....luckily there had been enough stragglers left in ground that they should fill in the area in a couple years.

Along the back fence is a berm 6-12 inches out from the fence & covered with straw. Straw seeds have sprouted & growing, that's ok as it will be cut & dried next summer if all goes well and added to the coop litter that will eventually return as mulch . The intent with this berm is to grow flowers to attract bees/pollinators. The next berm is the raspberry canes and transplanted asparagus & one artichoke at the far end near the canoe. The third berm is not planted as yet. These 2 berms are covered with the coop litter I cleaned out today.
In the pic it looks like the 2 swales form a V, but that's not the case. It's a shadow from the pie cherry tree that makes it look like that. Anyway, the one swale closer to the fence (and much of the garden) was planted with cover crop seed including buckwheat, wheat, hairy vetch, clovers and I don't remember what else was in the package, but is coming up. Actually what was planted in the garden, the chickens have already pretty much mowed it all down to the dirt and they've only been allowed in there for the last week or 10 days.

Then of course there's the aftermath of the rest of the garden. It's all a work in progress, but I did get the worst of it done.

Farmfresh

Unread post by Farmfresh » Sun Sep 29, 2019 8:28 am

You've been busy.
Matthew 19:26 Jesus looked at them and said, "With man this is impossible, but with God all things are possible."
"Stop Dreaming About the Good Life and Start Living IT !"
Every little bit ... is a little bit.

patriceinil

Unread post by patriceinil » Sun Sep 29, 2019 11:01 pm

I’ll second that! You’ve gotten a lot done this Summer.

Return to “Videos and Other Electric Media”