Other thoughts about food and health.

Farmfresh

Re: Other thoughts about food and health.

Unread post by Farmfresh » Mon May 20, 2019 6:41 am

|em12| |em23| |em12|

OK... so I am old. It has now been officially proven. Chances are any of the dogs can work a computer better than me at any rate.

|em8|
Matthew 19:26 Jesus looked at them and said, "With man this is impossible, but with God all things are possible."
"Stop Dreaming About the Good Life and Start Living IT !"
Every little bit ... is a little bit.

Old Fashioned

Unread post by Old Fashioned » Mon May 20, 2019 9:44 pm

Dirtdevil wrote:
Sat May 18, 2019 5:30 pm
My views on food and health are probably different than most peoples. Patrice knows about my eccentricities from many years of babbling about them on another site, but much of what I will post anywhere can only be understood by first having some insight into how I think about these things. For starters I want to say that I am not recommending my practices for anyone else. There is no perfect, one size fits all diet. Each person must observe themselves closely and discover what seems to increase their health and well being and what seems to weaken it. Mine is just what I have honed over many years of paying attention.

I don't eat meat of any kind. Have not for over thirty years. I have no epicurean leanings. To me food is simply fuel. I view the body as an organic machine. A very complex machine which must be carefully maintained if it is to function efficiently. Most of my diet is supplemental. My wife an I get by for food prep with two burners, a couple of pots and frying pans. If we cook at all its something simple like Mexican or Italian basics. Cheese and various forms of grains are most of the regular types of food we eat. We eat soup a lot. Potato, bean, split pea, vegetable. Cereal, bread, pasta, refried beans, stuff like that. We eat as organic as possible. Now that there is just the two of us there is no point in compromising over price between organic and pesticide ridden.

Everyday we start off with a protein shake made with milk and this powder.

Been taking this for about al long as I can remember now. We store an 18 month supply. It alone has enough vitamins, minerals and amino acids to pretty well sustain a body for an extended period of time. With this shake I take a fist full of other things. Testosterone supplements, turmeric, glucosamine, calcium, magnesium,ginseng, ginko, I don't even know everything she shoves into my hand every day. Some of the vitamins may be redundant. If so the body just eliminates them anyway.

I make my own V-8 juice from canned tomato juice and various powdered veggies. I am not totally convinced that all the vitamins and minerals in the supplements are processed by the body. So getting them in a more natural form seems prudent. As I said, only a few vitamins are a concern for over amping. They rest are assimilated and used by the body or eliminated. I like the taste of tomato juice and it pretty well covers the taste of anything you put in it. I'm just can't choke down most of the green smoothies many people swallow.

Over time I compiled a list off all the vitamins and minerals each food contained. Only possible because of the WWW. Once I had somewhat of a knowledge of what was in them and reading what scientists consider the RDA I began mixing the tomato juice with powdered suppliments like kale, broccoli, stinging nettle, beets, chard, and other juices like carrot, cucumber, beet. The last three I will drink on their own at times. The main thing is to focus enough attention on your body to know what it seems to need and is deficient in at any given time. Then you can adjust what you put into it to compensate. I have a whole lot more to say about this later.
Any chance you'd be willing to share your V8 recipe??? I've been wanting to try a homemade version, but have only done a few searches with little to no luck and no actual attempts yet. How does yours taste compared to the store bought? Very close? Or maybe you weren't going for an exact replica of taste as much as a nutritional boost???

When it comes to food...….I love it. There is only a few things I won't eat or atleast try and those items are on the weird or bizarre side of the food chain. But food is more than what I'm willing to eat cause I also love to grow &/or make my own...from seed to plant to harvest to eat or preserve in multiple ways. Basically from beginning to end and begin again. Tis the circle of life, so to speak.

I can only dream of having enough acreage to raise my own meat as well as the hay & grains to feed those animals. Pretty much like the pioneers did just a few generations ago. BUT instead, I do what I can here in my backyard with chickens & turkeys to the dismay of my neighbors.
I do have a garden and a few fruit trees and each year I try to grow some grains but has been more of increasing my seed supply than making much of a dent in my feed bill......then of course the battle with the squirrels & rats that have gotten much of it before I could. |em5|

licking links *snort :lol:

Icu4dzs

Unread post by Icu4dzs » Mon May 20, 2019 10:01 pm

Old Fashioned wrote:
Mon May 20, 2019 9:44 pm
Dirtdevil wrote:
Sat May 18, 2019 5:30 pm
My views on food and health are probably different than most peoples. Patrice knows about my eccentricities from many years of babbling about them on another site, but much of what I will post anywhere can only be understood by first having some insight into how I think about these things. For starters I want to say that I am not recommending my practices for anyone else. There is no perfect, one size fits all diet. Each person must observe themselves closely and discover what seems to increase their health and well being and what seems to weaken it. Mine is just what I have honed over many years of paying attention.

I don't eat meat of any kind. Have not for over thirty years. I have no epicurean leanings. To me food is simply fuel. I view the body as an organic machine. A very complex machine which must be carefully maintained if it is to function efficiently. Most of my diet is supplemental. My wife an I get by for food prep with two burners, a couple of pots and frying pans. If we cook at all its something simple like Mexican or Italian basics. Cheese and various forms of grains are most of the regular types of food we eat. We eat soup a lot. Potato, bean, split pea, vegetable. Cereal, bread, pasta, refried beans, stuff like that. We eat as organic as possible. Now that there is just the two of us there is no point in compromising over price between organic and pesticide ridden.

Everyday we start off with a protein shake made with milk and this powder.

Been taking this for about al long as I can remember now. We store an 18 month supply. It alone has enough vitamins, minerals and amino acids to pretty well sustain a body for an extended period of time. With this shake I take a fist full of other things. Testosterone supplements, turmeric, glucosamine, calcium, magnesium,ginseng, ginko, I don't even know everything she shoves into my hand every day. Some of the vitamins may be redundant. If so the body just eliminates them anyway.

I make my own V-8 juice from canned tomato juice and various powdered veggies. I am not totally convinced that all the vitamins and minerals in the supplements are processed by the body. So getting them in a more natural form seems prudent. As I said, only a few vitamins are a concern for over amping. They rest are assimilated and used by the body or eliminated. I like the taste of tomato juice and it pretty well covers the taste of anything you put in it. I'm just can't choke down most of the green smoothies many people swallow.

Over time I compiled a list off all the vitamins and minerals each food contained. Only possible because of the WWW. Once I had somewhat of a knowledge of what was in them and reading what scientists consider the RDA I began mixing the tomato juice with powdered suppliments like kale, broccoli, stinging nettle, beets, chard, and other juices like carrot, cucumber, beet. The last three I will drink on their own at times. The main thing is to focus enough attention on your body to know what it seems to need and is deficient in at any given time. Then you can adjust what you put into it to compensate. I have a whole lot more to say about this later.
Any chance you'd be willing to share your V8 recipe??? I've been wanting to try a homemade version, but have only done a few searches with little to no luck and no actual attempts yet. How does yours taste compared to the store bought? Very close? Or maybe you weren't going for an exact replica of taste as much as a nutritional boost???

When it comes to food...….I love it. There is only a few things I won't eat or atleast try and those items are on the weird or bizarre side of the food chain. But food is more than what I'm willing to eat cause I also love to grow &/or make my own...from seed to plant to harvest to eat or preserve in multiple ways. Basically from beginning to end and begin again. Tis the circle of life, so to speak.

I can only dream of having enough acreage to raise my own meat as well as the hay & grains to feed those animals. Pretty much like the pioneers did just a few generations ago. BUT instead, I do what I can here in my backyard with chickens & turkeys to the dismay of my neighbors.
I do have a garden and a few fruit trees and each year I try to grow some grains but has been more of increasing my seed supply than making much of a dent in my feed bill......then of course the battle with the squirrels & rats that have gotten much of it before I could. |em5|

licking links *snort :lol:
Food is the fuel for this highly refined machine called “The Human Body.”
Who among you would put the wrong fuel into your car? Same thing here.
You're believing it is not required for it to be true. TMM
Saepe Expertus, Semper Fidelis, Fratres Aeterni
Trim sends
//BT//

Farmfresh

Unread post by Farmfresh » Mon May 20, 2019 11:37 pm

I also love V8 juice. No comment when it comes to Dr.Pepper or gummy worms. |em28| (I have reason to believe that neither resemble proper jet fuel for my human body) |em2|

How about that recipe DD?
Matthew 19:26 Jesus looked at them and said, "With man this is impossible, but with God all things are possible."
"Stop Dreaming About the Good Life and Start Living IT !"
Every little bit ... is a little bit.

dizzy

Unread post by dizzy » Tue May 21, 2019 6:51 pm

I read a quote today about food, don't know if I can remember it now, but it made me think of this thread.

I eat what I want, tell myself it's healthy and hope for the placebo effect.

patriceinil

Unread post by patriceinil » Wed May 22, 2019 1:15 am

|em12| I love that dizzy!

Return to “Eating for Good Health”