Are We Safe Here?

A place to work out technical problems, solve issues and give positive suggestions.
Farmfresh

Are We Safe Here?

Unread post by Farmfresh » Thu Jan 17, 2019 8:17 pm

In a word. No. We are not truly safe anywhere... But we are pretty safe.

Geek keeps us pretty well covered here. I do my best as well.

To read a journal you must be a member. To BECOME a member... you have to get past me. And I am one paranoid little witch.

Typically ANYONE that tries to get into this site has to post and then be approved for that post before they are allowed any membership privileges. ANYONE that posts without references I deny. The I ban them by IP address, email address and name. Geek keeps this site pretty darned tight. That said. I think that it is possible to find and recover almost anything posted anyplace ... if you have the skill set.

The thing is THIS site should be a LOT more secure than others are. We are working at it always, because I don't want MY info out there either. First of all we are a small site. Under the radar for the most part.

(Now let me get way too real.)

Facebook on the other hand has their thumb on everything. So do your smart phones. One reason why I don't own one of those either. They had a show the other day that demonstrated how a smart phone is constantly tracking you and your info and location. It can't be shut off. Even turned off. I think you would need to pull out the battery and keep it in a tin box if you really wanted them to not track you. Add to that ... we wear those people trackers (like my Garmin) on our wrists. They track our heartbeat and our steps even. How many of us carry multiple credit cards... with a chip. Does the chip track us? Google does. Every search. Probably every keystroke. Yup. THEY can find you if they want you.

This forum is most likely the last place they are going to look.
Matthew 19:26 Jesus looked at them and said, "With man this is impossible, but with God all things are possible."
"Stop Dreaming About the Good Life and Start Living IT !"
Every little bit ... is a little bit.

Farmfresh

Re: Are We Safe Here?

Unread post by Farmfresh » Fri Jan 18, 2019 8:56 am

A couple of us have tried to Google our journal pages and said that they could get there. OK... I just did the search. If I am logged on here BEFORE I search ... it goes right to the journal page.

Then I logged off here and searched again. (I searched specifically "the name of the journal")

Yes, it had THAT journal at the top. It had a sentence from within the journal.

When I clicked on that link it said... "The board requires you to be registered and logged in to view this forum." and takes you directly to our login page.

Just to assure yourself... try logging OFF here and then run the search again. A person may get a sentence or two, and become aware of this journal's existence, but they can't read it all.

I searched for my journal and several others as well. Still blanks.

I wanted to BE SURE our site is as secure as possible. So far so good.
Matthew 19:26 Jesus looked at them and said, "With man this is impossible, but with God all things are possible."

patriceinil

Unread post by patriceinil » Fri Jan 18, 2019 9:08 am

Thanks for keeping us safe and secure here FF!

Farmfresh

Unread post by Farmfresh » Fri Jan 18, 2019 9:15 am

Not me. Mostly the Geek. I am proud of the deep paranoia that I have installed in that child.

No. Not just me. WE. Hubby is a paranoid, anti-big brother freak as well. I freely admit that I STRUGGLED assigning a SSN to my children. None of them had one for years after Geek was born. I was willing to take the tax hit just to keep them off the radar, but it finally got to the point I gave in on that one.

When D1 got her tattoo she showed it to her dad. She was ready for his unhappiness. She was NOT ready for his remark. The first thing he said to her was ... "Great. NOW you have an identifier. Now you are easier to track."

Yes. The paranoia runs deep.

Rhodie Ranch

Unread post by Rhodie Ranch » Fri Jan 18, 2019 10:38 am

Thank you, FF!

Farmfresh

Unread post by Farmfresh » Fri Jan 18, 2019 11:49 am

You are welcome. But like I said... I am doing this for ME too.

calendula

Unread post by calendula » Sat Jan 19, 2019 8:51 am

Thank you for clearing that up Farm, and for all the hard work you guys do keeping this forum running.

Farmfresh

Unread post by Farmfresh » Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:43 pm

Attention all members!!!

I have had a recent report from another member about possible trojan links on the site. The message read as follows:

"I have recently noticed something that is concerning me. In many of the posts here, I am seeing certain words that have been converted to LINKS that take you to some commercial and away from the post. I am quite concerned because it seems that we don't have any "privacy" here. Something is "monitoring our every word."
... If this is something you allow, then I will not mention it again. It could be that this is something that has infected my computer. If that is the case, I am not sure how to get rid of it. Often when I choose to do something, a completely unrelated page blocks what I asked for...this may be related to that. Has anyone else said anything about something like this?"

Have any of you see any thing like this?? If so was it on a computer or on a phone when you were watching??

I personally have not seen anything like this. I suspect it may be on the individuals own device, but if not I need to get Geek on the ball pronto. I am going to ask the Geek for help one way or another, but I need to know the extent of the trouble.

I regularly have to play "Whack an Invader" here. Most are caught in the security web FAR before anyone else can view their post. I hope that nothing has made it in past my hammer.

Old Fashioned

Unread post by Old Fashioned » Mon Jul 01, 2019 4:04 pm

I have not seen that either, but haven't been around as much as everyone else. That being said, I figure "they" are watching everything we do, regardless of security measures. I've been finding out just what 'smart' phones, tv's, computers really mean.

As for members only seeing our private stuff.....don't forget all those 'bots' are members too. Another thing that bothers me, are the members that don't post....at all. I mean, if you become a member of an online forum then it stands to reason you're gonna post something. |em22|

Farmfresh

Unread post by Farmfresh » Mon Jul 01, 2019 5:46 pm

The problem has been cleared up. It was on the members computer. He did what he read he should do and then the Geek confirmed that he did the right thing.

All of you. Malwarebytes rocks. It is a computer cleaner that is I am pretty sure Free and it works like a charm.

No worries about those folks that join and then never post. They MUST post twice and be approved twice to be "in". All of those that haven't posted in a long while go back to the approval stage for the most part.

Return to “The Ironing Board”