Storing Salt

calendula

Storing Salt

Unread post by calendula » Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:52 am

I would like to start storing a backup supply of salt. You know, just in case. Our food storage is currently downstairs in the basement, however, and anytime I have left salt down there, it has turned into one huge, solid chunk. Too much moisture down there, I'm guessing. So, I'm wondering, is anyone else storing salt? What is the best way to store it? I'd like to store a few different kinds, including: cheap table salt, sea salt, Himalayan salt, and curing salt.

Thanks in advance. |em8| :grin:

patriceinil

Re: Storing Salt

Unread post by patriceinil » Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:57 am

I put my salt in ziplock bags and then into tin canisters, but I don't have a basement or a huge moisture problem.

Maybe try sealing it in quart or half galllon canning jars to keep the moisture out.

Farmfresh

Re: Storing Salt

Unread post by Farmfresh » Fri Apr 21, 2017 11:33 am

I keep extra salt in a 5 gallon bucket with a Gamma Seal Lid on top. LOVE those things!!

http://freckleface.com/shopsite_sc/stor ... seals.html

That usually keeps it nice, but even if it goes into a huge block over time it will still be good and use able in the event of an emergency.
Matthew 19:26 Jesus looked at them and said, "With man this is impossible, but with God all things are possible."
"Stop Dreaming About the Good Life and Start Living IT !"
Every little bit ... is a little bit.

Return to “Pantry and Storage”