Hand vacuum sealing jars of dry goods

Patience

Hand vacuum sealing jars of dry goods

Unread post by Patience » Thu Aug 08, 2019 12:33 pm

Farmfresh you mentioned wanting a hand vacuum for food storage. We LOVE ours!

Got everything together here. We both have at least one hand vacuum pump at our respective shops but we went all out and bought a new one for food use. Not that it would really matter. We got it at the local auto parts store, thinking it was under $50 for an entire set, with attachments for about everything. And we'd sure use it for other things if we needed to.

Sealing lid attachments, we found ours at Bass Pro. Can't recall what we paid for them but I'm thinking it was under $20. The little blue silicone seals are removable. If you have trouble getting a jar to seal, wiping the rim and lid again, and checking that the silicon seal isn't dusty should fix it. We remove the silicon seals and wash them when they stop sealing and they come right back to life.

Pretty simple, stick the pointed attachment into the hole in the lid. Start squeezing the handle and keep doing that until it hits whatever you like. We do 6-8 inches of mercury (the unit vacuum is measured by) for short-term storage. 12 or so for long-term.

The lid will come off when the sealing attachment is removed if the lid failed to seal well. If it stays on, pressing it will show if the seal is pulled tight.

Didn't take long.

We live in a work in progress. This is a semi temporary arrangement, we do plan to put shelves along the wall to store the sealed jars, laying down on their sides.

We started this because we got bugs in our pantry one time. That won't happen again! We do seal stuff in bags as well, another story there. For everyday use, this works very well for us.

We did try some experiments. A quart of shelled black walnuts kept fresh for well over a year in a sealed jar at 12 inches of mercury. Amazing.

I took notes for ya'll.

One pound of lentils fits in a pint and a half size jar, doesn't quite fill it. Took me 21 pumps on the vacuum deal to pull 6-8 inches of mercury. I put the hand unit against my leg and push with my arm so it isn't tiring to do.

Five pounds of long grain rice filled a half gallon and a quart jar, and I had to thump the jars briskly on the table a number of times to get it in there. 28 pumps got me 6-8 inches of mercury on the half gallon. Took 50 pumps to get to 12 inches of mercury.

The quart of rice took 15 pumps to get 6-8 inches of mercury. 33 pumps to hit 12 inches.

A 40 ounce box of bisquick (2 pounds, 8 ounces) filled a half gallon jar with a little thumping on the table to tamp it in. Took 35 pumps to get to 6-8 inches of mercury.

Not real exact science here but hopefully close enough to give you an idea.

Note, the lids generally have to be pried off. Easy to separate a thumbnail from the nail bed trying to push the lids off with thumbs. We use a spoon laid against the top of the thread for leverage and they pop right off. Bonus - the lids are reusable! We leave the rings ON for storage. They are in the house, climate controlled. Never had a problem in several years.

Powdery stuff is a little dicey. The clear tube is kind of cinnamon colored on ours. We did a LOT of cinnamon. If everything is wiped VERY clean, it will generally seal.

Farmfresh

Re: Hand vacuum sealing jars of dry goods

Unread post by Farmfresh » Thu Aug 08, 2019 1:45 pm

I got the jar top part, but I still need to get the actual pump. Where did you get yours?
Matthew 19:26 Jesus looked at them and said, "With man this is impossible, but with God all things are possible."
"Stop Dreaming About the Good Life and Start Living IT !"
Every little bit ... is a little bit.

Patience

Unread post by Patience » Thu Aug 08, 2019 1:55 pm

Farmfresh, we got this one at O'Reiley's, all the auto part stores seem to carry them if you don't have one in your area? We weren't sure about the plastic housing on this one, our older ones are all metal. After several years, it is holding up just fine - and it is lighter than the all metal ones so we're sold!

patriceinil

Unread post by patriceinil » Thu Aug 08, 2019 3:03 pm

What is the actual part from O’Reilly’s called patience?

I have the jar sealing lids from my food saver system already.

The blue tape on the lids is it just for date to be applied or does the vacuum make a hole in the lid that then needs to be covered?

Patience

Unread post by Patience » Thu Aug 08, 2019 7:52 pm

I found a link Patrice. Seen them called hand vacuum, test bleeder, brake bleeder. The “kit” gets the tubing and attatchments. And a little canister for bleeding brakes or other fluid systems. Never know, might come in handy.

Apparently Walmart carries them. There are different brands out there, I saw some cheaper ones. This particular brand is available in all metal too, fifty some bucks. All the stores with car parts have them. Brands may vary?

We had the blue tape so we used it to label and date the jars. Since we usually store jars on their sides we put labels on the lids. Hard to read though. Be using light colored masking or freezer tape as soon as we get a roll.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Mityvac-MV80 ... nqEALw_wcB

patriceinil

Unread post by patriceinil » Thu Aug 08, 2019 8:19 pm

Thanks patience

Farmfresh

Unread post by Farmfresh » Thu Aug 08, 2019 8:39 pm

I know of people that can with a lid and then wash it well and use them to store dry after that. Sounds like a plan to me.

These days I do an awful lot of dry storage in Gatorade bottles. I love those because they are wide mouthed easy to clean and water tight. They are not vacuum packed however, which removes excess oxygen. I bet things would stay fresher vacuum packed.
Matthew 19:26 Jesus looked at them and said, "With man this is impossible, but with God all things are possible."

Patience

Unread post by Patience » Sun Aug 11, 2019 8:13 pm

Most welcome Patrice:)

Guess you could just toss an oxygen absorber packet in if you are going for longer storage Farmfresh?

Farmfresh

Unread post by Farmfresh » Mon Aug 12, 2019 1:52 am

Most things don't last that long. :lol:

Patience

Unread post by Patience » Mon Aug 12, 2019 8:05 pm

That is a good thing Farmfresh!

Return to “Pantry and Storage”