Freezing in bowls this year.

bittersweetbranch

Freezing in bowls this year.

Unread post by bittersweetbranch » Tue Jul 02, 2019 12:16 am

Processed all of the broccoli 2 weeks ago. Today, did all of the cabbage. Can't wait for St. Patricks day and corned beef. Still getting about 8 cups of florets off of the broccoli plants every week. Last year, we processed a lot of cherries for the freezer. Probably about 12 gallon. Did you know that cherry juice doesn't freeze all the way in my freezer! It actually leaks even. My freezer was a mess this year from all of the gallon ziploc bags I used. Cherry juice everywhere. Everything else in the freezer, hard as a rock. This year, I bought freezer bowls with lids. No leaking!

Old Fashioned

Re: Freezing in bowls this year.

Unread post by Old Fashioned » Tue Jul 02, 2019 6:45 am

I've never thought to freeze cabbage. How does it come out when thawed?

I didn't have much luck with broccoli this year, but I'm planning on trying again here soon for a fall crop. Hopefully I'll have better luck.

I can imagine the sight of the cherry juice. I had put some berries in a Ziploc into the freezer that were pretty juicy to begin with so before they froze, they too leaked and looked like a bloody massacre. Now I'll lay them out on a cookie sheet to freeze, then put them in a Ziploc.

bittersweetbranch

Unread post by bittersweetbranch » Tue Jul 02, 2019 12:22 pm

I do freeze my raspberries that way, I don't know why I never tried the cherries like that. The cabbage is yummy from the freezer. But, you wouldn't be able to make slaw or anything salad like with it because it softens too much from the freezing. I blanch it. It doesn't seem to lose any of its flavor. I never tried it until last year. We always tried to use it all up fresh. It's excellent smoked on the grill in aluminum foil with butter and garlic. Then last spring, I was reading a google site about what all vegies and fruits can be frozen and it was on there. I tried it and we loved it.

Old Fashioned

Unread post by Old Fashioned » Wed Jul 03, 2019 12:07 am

Thanks, that's good to know. Raw or fresh cabbage has it's place, but I love to put it in a stir fry with other veggies, or just fried or mixed with some chopped onion, browned hamburger, salt & pepper as a filling in a pinch of bread dough, then baked for a hand held sandwich of sorts. Smoking with butter & garlic sounds yummy as well. |em24|

Return to “Freezing”