How TO ... Pull out a fence post.

Tips, tricks, techniques and skills that we all need in our tool box
Farmfresh

How TO ... Pull out a fence post.

Unread post by Farmfresh » Thu May 19, 2016 1:01 am

There are certain tasks on a homestead that occur that SEEM like some simple thing to do, but end up working us to death before we can get the job done. Pulling out a fence post is one of those tasks. Pulling out a fence post is also something that ends up needing to happen on almost every homestead. We may all have a different reason for needing that post out... replacing a broken post, repairing a fence, re-configuring a pasture or removing the fence entirely... it all boils down to a stubborn post that has to come up out of years of hard packed soil.

In a perfect world it has recently rained and moistened the loamy earth deeply. You simply back up to the post with your tractor, hook on the hydraulics and press "lift". |em21|

In the real world the post is either mired in boot sucking gumbo or driven in sideways through rocky ground with a tree root encircling the bottom of it. You have no tractor and usually no gloves and no time. The post HAS to come out pronto, so you waller it back and forth, dig like a mad man with a big stick you find (you never have a good shovel either) and heave until your eyes pop out and your hernia truss snaps. You leave the job with your arms two inches longer, blisters on your cut hands and a spine that will no longer hold you erect.

What to do?

We all have our favorite tips and tricks... SHARE THEM HERE!

The homesteaders of the world thank you.
Matthew 19:26 Jesus looked at them and said, "With man this is impossible, but with God all things are possible."
"Stop Dreaming About the Good Life and Start Living IT !"
Every little bit ... is a little bit.

Farmfresh

Re: How TO ... Pull out a fence post.

Unread post by Farmfresh » Thu May 19, 2016 1:40 am

Here is my first contribution. A T-post puller made from a couple of clevis hooks. This stinking thing actually works. I use it and now I have one I carry in my fencing kit.

Matthew 19:26 Jesus looked at them and said, "With man this is impossible, but with God all things are possible."

Keith44

Unread post by Keith44 » Thu May 19, 2016 1:45 am

Quail

Unread post by Quail » Thu May 19, 2016 6:35 am

Well.... |em28|

We maybe had to remove a post and someone got so frustrated we cut it off level with the ground...with a chain saw.... |em28|

Farmfresh

Unread post by Farmfresh » Thu May 19, 2016 7:28 am

Rotten wooden post and ... well that IS a method. :lol: |em23|

Biggkidd

Unread post by Biggkidd » Sun Sep 29, 2019 9:47 pm

5 gallon bucket full of water and one very small hole in the bottom. Also works great to water plants / trees...

Dirtdevil

Unread post by Dirtdevil » Mon Sep 30, 2019 7:04 am

One of the best things anyone ever came up with was the "Little Giant" type ladder.

https://www.costco.com/Little-Giant-Meg ... 87758.html

Other people including Harbor Freight make the same type of ladder quite a bit cheaper. I have several. Most stable and versatile step ladder I have ever used. Will go up stairs. Anyway I set the ladder up over the post and hook a cable type come-a-long to it and just crank it out of the ground.

Farmfresh

Unread post by Farmfresh » Mon Sep 30, 2019 9:32 am

Good idea!

Return to “Get 'ER Done”