Homemade Mayo without eggs

Family favorites and special dishes. Share your best recipes here.
Old Fashioned

Homemade Mayo without eggs

Unread post by Old Fashioned »

I like watching these videos and have been learning about the self sustainability of people during WW2 when rationing was enforced and you either had to go without, or figure out a good substitute. These videos are about Britain and I'm sure they are glamourized a bit only because it's been well known Britain suffered much more than the rest of us back then.

Anyway, if you don't want to watch the whole video, you can skip to 16:00 for how she made mayo without egg using a potato instead.

Rhodie Ranch

Re: Homemade Mayo without eggs

Unread post by Rhodie Ranch »

I'll watch. My SonIL is allergic to egg whites. So much so, he has to get a diff type of flu treatment (mandatory for school workers).
Found water and ------better weather, yeah, maybe not.....

Old Fashioned

Murph......I just had to try it and really it wasn't too bad at all. I was pleasantly surprised that it did taste like mayo. I just didn't get the right consistency of it being creamy & spreadable, but that was my own fault.

I had a leftover microwaved baked potato in the fridge and since it was too firm & dry I put it in a pan with water to simmer it a bit in the hopes it would soften up and become more moist. It didn't work, but may have if I'd left it a bit longer. So when I tried to mash it thru my poor old strainer, it was difficult to say the least. Then I realized I had to run to the bank before it closed, so I hurried and only did about 1/3 of the potato, added ACV instead of regular distilled vinegar, mustard powder, a bit of oil and salt & pepper and mixed it up. As I said it did taste good and is worth another effort to do it right.

Next time I'll use fresh boiled potato and it should work. |em23|

Farmfresh

Unread post by Farmfresh »

Egg Free War Time Mayonnaise

* 1 @ 2 to 3 oz potato boiled or steamed then mashed and pushed through a fine sieve
* 1 teaspoon mustard
* salt and pepper
* 4 - 5 teaspoons vinegar
* 2 tablespoons oil
-----
Mix it well, but not too roughly.
And, isn't sanity really just a one-trick pony anyway? I mean all you get is one trick, rational thinking, but when you're good and crazy, oooh, oooh, oooh, the sky is the limit. -The Tick ~~ Bible verse Revelation 6:15-17 - look it up!

Old Fashioned

ok......did you watch that part of the video to get the recipe????? Or did you get that from somewhere else???? |em13|

Farmfresh

I watched the video. Again... I might say. Love that show!
And, isn't sanity really just a one-trick pony anyway? I mean all you get is one trick, rational thinking, but when you're good and crazy, oooh, oooh, oooh, the sky is the limit. -The Tick ~~ Bible verse Revelation 6:15-17 - look it up!

Old Fashioned

Farm....there is a whole series....well actually 2. It's really one series, but 2 different people have atleast some of the same videos on their playlist. Each one has little tidbits of info hiding in it, like the mayo

Last night I watched one, though I think it was a completely different channel, but still about the old ways or getting by in tough times...anyway, I had to laugh when they were using some kind of old tool like a belt sander to pluck a chicken. I wish I could remember which one it was so could post it.....but age does have it's limits |em2|

Farmfresh

Yup. I have watched them all and Geek has some of them saved for me.

Old Fashioned

Patrice........here you go.

patriceinil

Unread post by patriceinil »

Thanks OF, I’ll check the video out.

Thanks for putting the recipe in this thread FF.

I love the old wartime series of videos that I’ve seen in the past, this might be one I’ve seen before but I don’t remember the Mayo without an egg recipe.