Apple Scrap Vinegar or Homemade ACV

Family favorites and special dishes. Share your best recipes here.
Old Fashioned

Apple Scrap Vinegar or Homemade ACV

Unread post by Old Fashioned »

I could have sworn this was posted before, but can't find it. So here it is (again?)……

Well, I can't find the one I have used in the past....but doing a search and nearly all the responses come up with the same ingredients & instructions. Though some say to use a little finished vinegar to get it started, you don't have too. It will ferment on it's own.

https://commonsensehome.com/apple-scrap-vinegar/

I have done this a few times before and will have to again in the near future. I just cram a jar with peelings & cores, add some sugar and fill with water to cover the apples......in a few days they should start to break down or shrink and I have added more peelings/cores. Cover the jar with cheesecloth & let it go

Farmfresh

Re: Apple Scrap Vinegar or Homemade ACV

Unread post by Farmfresh »

I did a search... you did post this before, but it was within a journal. Now it has a home where it belongs. Once again we see why it is important to be organized on this forum. If we make a thread, then we can actually find stuff. A lot like home. If I actually put something away in it's proper spot, then I can find it again when needed.

Do not think I am fussing at anyone either. I do this more that you all do... especially at home. |em28|
And, isn't sanity really just a one-trick pony anyway? I mean all you get is one trick, rational thinking, but when you're good and crazy, oooh, oooh, oooh, the sky is the limit. -The Tick ~~ Bible verse Revelation 6:15-17 - look it up!

Farmfresh

Where possible it is always a good idea to also re-copy the recipe and post it. I have been on other forums and wanted something that was left as a link but the link was dead.

Apple Scrap Vinegar Recipe Find it online: https://commonsensehome.com/apple-scrap-vinegar/

Author: Laurie Neverman

* Apple scraps - about a quart - peels, chunks, cores but nothing rotten or moldy.
* 1/2 cup sugar (or honey)
* 1 qt warm water - no chlorine that will kill the bacteria needed for fermentation.
* 2 T raw apple cider vinegar (optional)
-----
Mix sugar in water to dissolve. In a 2 quart mason jar or other large, nonreactive container (use glass, food grade plastic or stainless steel) add apple parts and enough sugar water to cover. Leave enough room for bubbles to form.

Add raw apple cider vinegar, if desired, to jump start the process. Stir well and cover opening with a cloth and rubber band to keep out fruit flies but allow natural yeasts in. Initially the smell should start out like apples and hooch (the microbes will produce alcohol before they switch to vinegar), then the sour vinegar smell will develop.

Keep jar at room temperature and stir daily for about a week. Strain out apple chunks and compost them (or give them to the chickens). Return to fermenting vessel and ferment for 2-3 more weeks, stirring occasionally. Strain and bottle, use for cooking, cleaning, critters or health, and enjoy your homemade vinegar that only cost you pennies to make.
And, isn't sanity really just a one-trick pony anyway? I mean all you get is one trick, rational thinking, but when you're good and crazy, oooh, oooh, oooh, the sky is the limit. -The Tick ~~ Bible verse Revelation 6:15-17 - look it up!

Old Fashioned

Thank you Farm. Yeah that organized thingy.....me not so much. I try though. |em28|

Farmfresh

Right now this house is driving me crazy. Everything... every where. UGH.

Old Fashioned

I wonder if you could can a big batch of finished ACV????? I might have to put that on my to do list.....

Farmfresh

No need to can. You would destroy the live bacteria. ACV will keep itself - fairly shelf stable.

Old Fashioned

Good to know, thanks |em23|

calendula

Unread post by calendula »

I have made a small batch of pineapple vinegar before, but never apple. I do, however, have access to an abundant supply of apples this fall, so I think I want to try this. I have a really huge crock (not sure of the size, but I'm thinking a few gallons) that I'd like to make a giant batch in. We go through a lot of vinegar because I use it for tons of things.

Farmfresh

Let us know how it turns out.

Pineapple vinegar? Is it the same process?