4 Stovetop Breads

Family favorites and special dishes. Share your best recipes here.
patriceinil

4 Stovetop Breads

Unread post by patriceinil »

Farmfresh

Re: 4 Stovetop Breads

Unread post by Farmfresh »

Cornmeal mush was a standard in our house when I was a kid. I love that stuff.
And, isn't sanity really just a one-trick pony anyway? I mean all you get is one trick, rational thinking, but when you're good and crazy, oooh, oooh, oooh, the sky is the limit. -The Tick ~~ Bible verse Revelation 6:15-17 - look it up!

Old Fashioned

Unread post by Old Fashioned »

I'm glad he included Native fry bread, but I was surprised at how small his were. Normally you roll it out to about the size of his pan (maybe 1/4 inch thick or less?) It often makes bubbles in the bread that can be left or pop them. They are often served with honey or cinnamon & sugar like they do at the state fair and called Elephant Ears. Those are huge. but the homemade ones can also be used for tacos or tostadas, just top with your favorite fixins. Those (not the fair ones) usually have some soft & chewy bread like spots and some thinner crispy (popped bubbles) spots. We love them.

Naan is another good option and isn't fried in oil. It can be done in a hot skillet. I think tortillas are done the same way but not sure. That is something I haven't tried making yet, but want too

patriceinil

I saw the video and thought it would be a good starting point for stovetop bread making ideas.

I was thinking tortillas definitely since you cook them in a dry pan. English muffins are also done on the stovetop but need to be finished in the oven. A Dutch oven on a burner could probably work to finish them off. It’s because they would still be doughy in the middle of not baked to fry them out in the center. I’ll have to try making some again.

Old Fashioned

thought it would be a good starting point for stovetop bread making ideas.

Yes it is, thank you for posting it

patriceinil

You’re welcome, it will help all of us with ideas to expand our recipes for different bread ideas. I know I get into a rut with my bread choices.

Old Fashioned

Me too but I don't make it that often. Right now I'm working on a sourdough starter and it's just about ready to make a loaf. Just in time for the rain tomorrow.

And honestly, I don't think I've ever had cornmeal mush or have it cooked as a bread |em22|

Farmfresh

Unread post by Farmfresh »

That is because you are not a hillbilly. Have you ever eaten Polenta? It is basically the same thing.
And, isn't sanity really just a one-trick pony anyway? I mean all you get is one trick, rational thinking, but when you're good and crazy, oooh, oooh, oooh, the sky is the limit. -The Tick ~~ Bible verse Revelation 6:15-17 - look it up!

patriceinil

Yep cornmeal mush and polenta are very similar